make: circular dependency for Modules/signalmodule.o

James Buchanan

Hi group,

I'm preparing Python 2.4.2 for the upcoming Minix 3.x release, and I
have problems with make. configure runs fine and creates the makefile,
but right at the end ends with an error about a circular dependency in
Modules/signalmodule.o.

I'm new to makefiles and makefile rules, so I can understand what this
means, but I don't know how I can fix this problem. Looks like I'll
need to rewrite one or more makefile rules and during Minix builds add
some code to patch it up for those rules (as opposed to perhaps porting
a more capable `make` like gmake right now).

Can someone please help me make this problem go away?

Thanks!
James Buchanan

Neal Norwitz

James said:
Hi group,

I'm preparing Python 2.4.2 for the upcoming Minix 3.x release, and I
have problems with make. configure runs fine and creates the makefile,
but right at the end ends with an error about a circular dependency in
Modules/signalmodule.o.

I've never heard of this problem. The Makefile is generated by
configure so this is possibly a configure issue. In my (generated)
Makefile, signalmodule.o is listed in MODOBJS, but not in SIGNAL_OBJS.
Maybe your signalmodule.o is listed in both?

Search through the Makefile for signalmodule and see what you can find.

Mine has two long lines for the rules which cause signalmodule.c to be
compiled.

Modules/signalmodule.o: $(srcdir)/Modules/signalmodule.c; $(CC)
$(PY_CFLAGS) -c $(srcdir)/Modules/signalmodule.c -o
Modules/signalmodule.o

Modules/signalmodule$(SO): Modules/signalmodule.o; $(LDSHARED)
Modules/signalmodule.o -o Modules/signalmodule$(SO)

Good luck,

James Buchanan

Neal said:
I've never heard of this problem. The Makefile is generated by
configure so this is possibly a configure issue. In my (generated)
Makefile, signalmodule.o is listed in MODOBJS, but not in SIGNAL_OBJS.
Maybe your signalmodule.o is listed in both?

Search through the Makefile for signalmodule and see what you can
find.

Mine has two long lines for the rules which cause signalmodule.c to be
compiled.

Modules/signalmodule.o: $(srcdir)/Modules/signalmodule.c; $(CC)
$(PY_CFLAGS) -c $(srcdir)/Modules/signalmodule.c -o
Modules/signalmodule.o

Modules/signalmodule$(SO): Modules/signalmodule.o; $(LDSHARED)
Modules/signalmodule.o -o Modules/signalmodule$(SO)

Hi Neal,

Thanks very much for your tip. I've been studying makefiles to find out
exactly what all this means. It may be because the Minix make program
is less capable than gmake. gmake and other make programs can
obviously handle this. Configure might have run incorrectly or both
rules are one and the same on Minix, because there is no LDSHARED or
signalmodule$(SO). Maybe...

Still working on it, but this has narrowed it down for me, so thanks
heaps. :)

James