Making check boxes active on selection of radio button...

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Mark, Jan 6, 2006.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Hi yall

    I have been looking for a way to do the following

    I have a form for entry to an event

    People can choose whether they want to

    1 Come for the whole week
    2 Come for the first weekend
    3 Come for the last weekend
    4 Come for the midweek days
    5 Come for days that they specify

    Radio buttons are used to select their option.

    What I want is for there to be 8 check boxes under option 5 THAT ARE
    ONLY ACTIVE IF THEY SELECT OPTION 5. In otherwords they are greyed out
    unless they select option 5.

    I have seen it done before, but foolishly did not look at the source
    code to see how it was done.

    My attempts to find anything on the Internet have come to nothing...

    Any <form> gurus out there who can help me?

    TIA

    Mark
    Mark, Jan 6, 2006

  2. Mark

    dorayme Guest

    In article <43bdde0e$0$28935$>,
    Mark <> wrote:

    > Hi yall
    >
    > I have been looking for a way to do the following
    >
    > I have a form for entry to an event
    >
    > People can choose whether they want to
    >
    > 1 Come for the whole week
    > 2 Come for the first weekend
    > 3 Come for the last weekend
    > 4 Come for the midweek days
    > 5 Come for days that they specify
    >
    > Radio buttons are used to select their option.
    >
    > What I want is for there to be 8 check boxes under option 5 THAT ARE
    > ONLY ACTIVE IF THEY SELECT OPTION 5. In otherwords they are greyed out
    > unless they select option 5.
    >
    > I have seen it done before, but foolishly did not look at the source
    > code to see how it was done.
    >
    > My attempts to find anything on the Internet have come to nothing...
    >
    > Any <form> gurus out there who can help me?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Mark

    Hi Mark, I can help you on this as I am a bit of an expert in
    this area as you know.

    Make the 5 and all its checkboxes an image with greyed out
    checkboxes.

    If it is clicked, another page will load and the checkboxes will
    be real ones.

    It's ok. Anytime you need help, I am here.

    Notice how we needed the weather to help us against those tricky
    bastds, the safricans?

    dorayme
    dorayme, Jan 6, 2006

  3. Mark

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Mark
    <> spouted in alt.html:

    > What I want is for there to be 8 check boxes under option 5 THAT ARE
    > ONLY ACTIVE IF THEY SELECT OPTION 5. In otherwords they are greyed out
    > unless they select option 5.

    There is no way of doing this in HTML. You will need some sort of
    client-side scripting (e.g. Javascript). Use Javascript to disable the
    checkboxes on page load (that way anyone with JS disabled/unavailable
    can still use them). You would need probably an onclick event on the
    radio button to call a function that enables the checkboxes (and one on
    the other radio buttons to disable them again).

    Of course you still need to validate the data properly server-side (i.e.
    ignore the checkboxes unless option 5 is selected).

    --
    Mark Parnell
    Att. Google Groups users - this is your last warning:
    Mark Parnell, Jan 6, 2006
  4. Mark wrote:
    > Hi yall
    >
    > I have been looking for a way to do the following
    >
    > I have a form for entry to an event
    >
    > People can choose whether they want to
    >
    > 1 Come for the whole week
    > 2 Come for the first weekend
    > 3 Come for the last weekend
    > 4 Come for the midweek days
    > 5 Come for days that they specify

    I have done a lot of that, recently:

    In my case the users should be able to select an item from a dropdown
    control. Depending on the value, tabbing order on the page was to be
    changed, some items greyed out, DIV's to be shown, buttons to
    appear/disappear.

    JavaScript, as much as I hate it, can do all that.
    Malte Christensen, Jan 6, 2006
  5. I'm no guru, but the code below works.

    Mark Parnell has a good point about being user friendly for those who
    have JavaScript disabled. To accomplish that, in the code below:

    remove disabled="disabled" from the checkboxes.

    and change the body to:

    Also, some text explaining that clicking on that radio button enables
    the following checkboxes would be nice.

    You can change the radio button and checkbox names/values to what you
    want. Just make sure the checkboxes all have the same name. Also make
    sure you change the names in the statements in the changeChek() and
    setForm() functions in the JavaScript program.

    <head>
    <title></title>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    <!--
    function changeChek()
    {
    for (var i = 0; i < document.fone.cone.length; i++)
    {
    document.fone.cone.disabled = false;
    function setForm()
    {
    document.fone.reset();
    for (var i = 0; i < document.fone.cone.length; i++)
    {
    document.fone.cone.disabled = true;
    //-->
    </script>
    </head>
    <form action="" name="fone">
    <input type="radio" name="rone" value="rad" onclick="changeChek();">
    <input type="checkbox" name="cone" value="chek1" disabled="disabled">
    <input type="checkbox" name="cone" value="chek2" disabled="disabled">
    <input type="checkbox" name="cone" value="chek3" disabled="disabled">
    <input type="checkbox" name="cone" value="chek4" disabled="disabled">
    <input type="checkbox" name="cone" value="chek5" disabled="disabled">
    <input type="checkbox" name="cone" value="chek6" disabled="disabled">
    <input type="checkbox" name="cone" value="chek7" disabled="disabled">
    <input type="checkbox" name="cone" value="chek8" disabled="disabled">
    <input type="button" value="Reset" onclick="setForm();">
    </form>
    X l e c t r i c, Jan 6, 2006
  6. Mark

    Ed Jay Guest

    Mark <> wrote:

    >Hi yall
    >
    >I have been looking for a way to do the following
    >
    >I have a form for entry to an event
    >
    >People can choose whether they want to
    >
    >1 Come for the whole week
    >2 Come for the first weekend
    >3 Come for the last weekend
    >4 Come for the midweek days
    >5 Come for days that they specify
    >
    >Radio buttons are used to select their option.
    >
    >What I want is for there to be 8 check boxes under option 5 THAT ARE
    >ONLY ACTIVE IF THEY SELECT OPTION 5. In otherwords they are greyed out
    >unless they select option 5.
    >
    >I have seen it done before, but foolishly did not look at the source
    >code to see how it was done.
    >
    >My attempts to find anything on the Internet have come to nothing...
    >
    >Any <form> gurus out there who can help me?

    I'm not a guru, but I recently went through the same exercise. I ended up
    using a simple javascript to toggle the CSS display property of a <div
    style="display:none";>. When I press button 5, the five new choices
    suddenly appear as now-displayed checkboxes. See what I mean at
    http://www.edbj.aes-intl.com/pg4disp.html. Click on any of the checkbox or
    buttons.

    --
    Ed Jay (remove M to respond by email)
    Ed Jay, Jan 6, 2006
  7. Mark

    Ed Jay Guest

    Malte Christensen <> wrote:

    >Mark wrote:
    >> Hi yall
    >>
    >> I have been looking for a way to do the following
    >>
    >> I have a form for entry to an event
    >>
    >> People can choose whether they want to
    >>
    >> 1 Come for the whole week
    >> 2 Come for the first weekend
    >> 3 Come for the last weekend
    >> 4 Come for the midweek days
    >> 5 Come for days that they specify
    >>

    >I have done a lot of that, recently:
    >
    >In my case the users should be able to select an item from a dropdown
    >control. Depending on the value, tabbing order on the page was to be
    >changed, some items greyed out, DIV's to be shown, buttons to
    >appear/disappear.
    >
    >JavaScript, as much as I hate it, can do all that.

    I've grown to love javascript. Why do you hate it?

    --
    Ed Jay (remove M to respond by email)
    Ed Jay, Jan 6, 2006
  8. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Hi Ed

    This was the KILLER response I was looking for!!!

    Thanks for this my man! This will sort me right out :eek:)

    Thanks to everyone else for their responses too...

    Mark
    Mark, Jan 6, 2006
  9. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Yo Xlectric

    Thanks for this! You have just made my life a little bit easier!

    I have been working on this job for over 24hrs solid now and knowing
    that I have a fix for this particular issue makes my be bed seem just
    that little bit closer

    I LOVE USENET

    Mark
    Mark, Jan 6, 2006
  10. Mark

    Mark Guest

    This code will be perfect for my purposes apart from one thing...

    I havent managed to work out how to get the check boxes to become
    disabled if I select a different radio button...

    For eaxample

    <input type="radio" name="rone" value="1"> <-- When this is selected the
    check boxes should become disabled...
    <input type="radio" name="rone" value="2" onclick="changeChek();"><--
    when this is selected the checkboxes are enabled as expected...
    <input type="checkbox" name="cone" value="chek1" disabled="disabled">
    <input type="checkbox" name="cone" value="chek2" disabled="disabled">
    <input type="checkbox" name="cone" value="chek3" disabled="disabled">

    Have I missed something obvious?

    TIA

    Mark
    Mark, Jan 6, 2006
  11. Ed Jay wrote:
    > Malte Christensen <> wrote:
    >

    >>Mark wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi yall
    >>>
    >>>I have been looking for a way to do the following
    >>>
    >>>I have a form for entry to an event
    >>>
    >>>People can choose whether they want to
    >>>
    >>>1 Come for the whole week
    >>>2 Come for the first weekend
    >>>3 Come for the last weekend
    >>>4 Come for the midweek days
    >>>5 Come for days that they specify
    >>>

    >>I have done a lot of that, recently:
    >>
    >>In my case the users should be able to select an item from a dropdown
    >>control. Depending on the value, tabbing order on the page was to be
    >>changed, some items greyed out, DIV's to be shown, buttons to
    >>appear/disappear.
    >>
    >>JavaScript, as much as I hate it, can do all that.

    > I've grown to love javascript. Why do you hate it?

    untyped, unintuitive (I am a Java kind of person), poor debugging,
    abysmal performance.

    Those just off the top of my head ;-)
    Malte Christensen, Jan 6, 2006

    Mark wrote:
    "I havent managed to work out how to get the check boxes to become
    disabled if I select a different radio button..."

    I actually prefer Ed's DHTML version. You might want to consider that.
    You could have the checkboxes for all "eight" (pun intended) days of the
    week in one row, and have them appear when the fifth radio button is
    clicked.

    I added a conditional to the changeChek() function.

    I'm just winging it on these form and element names. They have to be the
    same as what you have in your server side program. If the checkboxes
    there all have different names then what I'm doing will have to be
    changed. Maybe put the names in an Array, run it through a loop, and use
    the DOM. Or something like that.

    Later, Art.

    <head>
    <title></title>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    <!--
    function changeChek()
    {
    for (var i = 0; i < document.fone.cone.length; i++)
    {
    if (document.fone.rone[4].checked == true)
    {
    document.fone.cone.disabled = false;
    }
    else
    {
    document.fone.cone.disabled = true;
    document.fone.cone.checked = false;
    function setForm()
    {
    document.fone.reset();
    for (var i = 0; i < document.fone.cone.length; i++)
    {
    document.fone.cone.disabled = true;
    //-->
    </script>
    </head>
    <form action="" name="fone">
    <input type="radio" name="rone" value="rad1" onclick="changeChek();"> 1
    Come for the whole week
    <input type="radio" name="rone" value="rad2" onclick="changeChek();"> 2
    Come for the first weekend
    <input type="radio" name="rone" value="rad3" onclick="changeChek();"> 3
    Come for the last weekend
    <input type="radio" name="rone" value="rad4" onclick="changeChek();"> 4
    Come for the midweek days
    <input type="radio" name="rone" value="rad" onclick="changeChek();"> 5
    X l e c t r i c, Jan 6, 2006
  13. Mark

    Ed Jay Guest

    Malte Christensen <> wrote:

    >Ed Jay wrote:
    >> Malte Christensen <> wrote:

    >>>I have done a lot of that, recently:
    >>>
    >>>In my case the users should be able to select an item from a dropdown
    >>>control. Depending on the value, tabbing order on the page was to be
    >>>changed, some items greyed out, DIV's to be shown, buttons to
    >>>appear/disappear.
    >>>
    >>>JavaScript, as much as I hate it, can do all that.

    >> I've grown to love javascript. Why do you hate it?
    >>

    >untyped, unintuitive (I am a Java kind of person), poor debugging,
    >abysmal performance.
    >
    >Those just off the top of my head ;-)

    I guess that in my joy at being able to do as I need, I've overlooked the
    [valid] issues you cite.

    --
    Ed Jay (remove M to respond by email)
    Ed Jay, Jan 6, 2006
  14. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Done it...

    :eek:)

    Cheers Lads (& lassies ???)

    Mark
    Mark, Jan 6, 2006
  15. Mark

    Ed Jay Guest

    Mark <> wrote:

    >Hi Ed
    >
    >This was the KILLER response I was looking for!!!
    >
    >Thanks for this my man! This will sort me right out :eek:)
    >
    >Thanks to everyone else for their responses too...

    Here are the js:

    function show(cont_id) {
    target = document.getElementById(cont_id)
    target.style.display = "";
    }

    function hide(cont_id) {
    target = document.getElementById(cont_id)
    target.style.display = "none";
    }

    function toggle(what,targetId) {
    target = document.getElementById(targetId);
    target.style.display = (what.checked)?'':'none';

    Ed Jay (remove M to respond by email)
    Ed Jay, Jan 6, 2006
  16. Malte Christensen wrote:

    > Ed Jay wrote:
    >> I've grown to love javascript. Why do you hate it?
    >>

    > untyped, unintuitive (I am a Java kind of person), poor debugging,
    > abysmal performance.
    >
    > Those just off the top of my head ;-)

    You must just LOVE Perl and PHP! ;-)

    Actually debugging is not bad, except if you try with IE! Gecko browsers
    with the JavaScript Console give you error and CORRECT line number where
    error occurs. Funny old NN4x would pick up the subtlest errors, but of
    course useless with DOM!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 6, 2006
  17. Ed Jay wrote:

    > Mark <> wrote:
    >

    >>Hi Ed
    >>
    >>This was the KILLER response I was looking for!!!
    >>
    >>Thanks for this my man! This will sort me right out :eek:)
    >>
    >>Thanks to everyone else for their responses too...
    >>

    > Here are the js:
    >
    > function show(cont_id) {
    > target = document.getElementById(cont_id)
    > target.style.display = "";
    > }
    >
    > function hide(cont_id) {
    > target = document.getElementById(cont_id)
    > target.style.display = "none";
    > }
    >
    > function toggle(what,targetId) {
    > target = document.getElementById(targetId);
    > target.style.display = (what.checked)?'':'none';
    > }

    Just a note Ed you got a little error in your code,

    <your code>

    <b>Was patient prepared for examination consistent with recommended
    protocol?</b>&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes<input type=radio name="cbt" value="0"
    onClick = "hide('div4');clearButs('proto',4);clearProto();" checked>

    </your code>

    but your function is 'clearBut':

    function clearBut(suffix,count) {
    var i=0;
    while (i < count) {
    window.document.form1.elements[suffix+(i)].checked=false;
    i++;}

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 6, 2006
  18. Mark

    Ed Jay Guest

    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    >Ed Jay wrote:
    >
    >> Mark <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi Ed
    >>>
    >>>This was the KILLER response I was looking for!!!
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for this my man! This will sort me right out :eek:)
    >>>
    >>>Thanks to everyone else for their responses too...
    >>>

    >> Here are the js:
    >>
    >> function show(cont_id) {
    >> target = document.getElementById(cont_id)
    >> target.style.display = "";
    >> }
    >>
    >> function hide(cont_id) {
    >> target = document.getElementById(cont_id)
    >> target.style.display = "none";
    >> }
    >>
    >> function toggle(what,targetId) {
    >> target = document.getElementById(targetId);
    >> target.style.display = (what.checked)?'':'none';
    >> }
    >>

    >Just a note Ed you got a little error in your code,
    >
    ><your code>
    >
    ><b>Was patient prepared for examination consistent with recommended
    >protocol?</b>&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes<input type=radio name="cbt" value="0"
    >onClick = "hide('div4');clearButs('proto',4);clearProto();" checked>
    >
    ></your code>

    I don't think you went far enough in my code...

    Left:<input type=checkbox name=symp_brl value=1
    onClick="toggle(this,'div2l');clearSympLeft();hide('div3l');clearSymp();"></div>
    ----------------^
    Right:<input type=checkbox name=symp_brr value=1
    onClick="toggle(this,'div2r')
    ^

    >but your function is 'clearBut':
    >
    >function clearBut(suffix,count) {
    >var i=0;
    >while (i < count) {
    >window.document.form1.elements[suffix+(i)].checked=false;
    >i++;}

    clearBut(suffix,count) is a function to clear all buttons.

    --
    Ed Jay (remove M to respond by email)
    Ed Jay, Jan 6, 2006

    error is here --------------------^

    >></your code>

    > I don't think you went far enough in my code...
    >
    > Left:<input type=checkbox name=symp_brl value=1
    > onClick="toggle(this,'div2l');clearSympLeft();hide('div3l');clearSymp();"></div>
    > ----------------^
    > Right:<input type=checkbox name=symp_brr value=1
    > onClick="toggle(this,'div2r')
    > ^
    >
    >>but your function is 'clearBut':
    >>
    >>function clearBut(suffix,count) {
    >>var i=0;
    >>while (i < count) {
    >>window.document.form1.elements[suffix+(i)].checked=false;
    >>i++;}

    > clearBut(suffix,count) is a function to clear all buttons.

    No Ed, it's not with toggle function, but in your HTML your call for
    clearBut*s* not clearBut function see above...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 6, 2006
  20. Mark

    Ed Jay Guest

    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    >Ed Jay wrote:

    >>>Just a note Ed you got a little error in your code,
    >>>
    >>><your code>
    >>>
    >>><b>Was patient prepared for examination consistent with recommended
    >>>protocol?</b>&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes<input type=radio name="cbt" value="0"
    >>>onClick = "hide('div4');clearButs('proto',4);clearProto();" checked>

    > ^
    >error is here --------------------^
    >

    >>></your code>

    >> I don't think you went far enough in my code...
    >>
    >> Left:<input type=checkbox name=symp_brl value=1
    >> onClick="toggle(this,'div2l');clearSympLeft();hide('div3l');clearSymp();"></div>
    >> ----------------^
    >> Right:<input type=checkbox name=symp_brr value=1
    >> onClick="toggle(this,'div2r')
    >> ^
    >>
    >>>but your function is 'clearBut':
    >>>
    >>>function clearBut(suffix,count) {
    >>>var i=0;
    >>>while (i < count) {
    >>>window.document.form1.elements[suffix+(i)].checked=false;
    >>>i++;}

    >> clearBut(suffix,count) is a function to clear all buttons.
    >>

    >No Ed, it's not with toggle function, but in your HTML your call for
    >clearBut*s* not clearBut function see above...

    Got it! Thank you. Thank you. It would have taken me days to figure out
    what was going wrong. :)

    --
    Ed Jay (remove M to respond by email)
    Ed Jay, Jan 6, 2006