    without using PDK.

    Can it be done without using PDK.

    regards
    king, Jun 27, 2006

  2. "Michael Wulff" <> wrote in news:1151416624.304807.102140
    @p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

    >> Can any-body suggest anything so that it will be easy for every-one to
    >> use without installing anything.

    > perl2exe: http://www.indigostar.com/perl2exe.htm

    PAR is much recommended by others (I have not used it):

    http://search.cpan.org/~smueller/PAR-0.941/script/pp

    Sinan
    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, Jun 27, 2006

  3. king wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have written a perl script and i want this script to be used by
    > others.
    > But they will have to install active perl to make that work.
    > and of course if i have used any modules in that script then they have
    > to install that module as well.

    I do this ALL the time. perl2exe can be tricky to make work.
    There may be hidden runtime dependencies that are VERY hard to
    find. Consider this little gem from Net::SSH::perl:

    sub protocol_class {
    join '::', __PACKAGE__,
    ($_[1] == PROTOCOL_SSH2 ? "SSH2" : "SSH1");
    }
    .... elsewhere in code:
    (my $lib = $proto_class . ".pm") =~ s!::!/!g;
    require $lib;

    Unless you explicitely tell perl2exe about this, it will
    barf. But if you can get it to work, perl2exe is a great
    choice.

    PAR is much easier to get working but the file size is a
    lot larger than a perl2exe distribution and takes longer
    to start up. I've also noticed it doesn't always do a good
    job of cleaning up after itself. But it pretty much always
    works and the learning curve is considerably easier than
    perl2exe. Plus, it's free!

    Personally I bundle up a small miniperl distribution using
    Inno Setup. It includes only the perl parts needed for the
    program and I can often fit the whole thing on a floppy. But
    be careful which perl you distribute this way as most have
    licensing restrictions which prevent you from distributing
    modified versions. I use the Apache win32 perl distribution.

    http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/perl/win32-bin

    Or you can compile your own. You cannot distribute
    ActiveState perl outside of your organization without
    a license.

    If you need more help let me know. Like I said, I do
    this all the time.

    Arvin
    Arvin Portlock, Jun 27, 2006