Making "import" *SLIGHTLY* more verbose?

Steve Juranich

First of all, just let me say that I'm aware of the "-v" switch for
Python, and I don't want anything nearly that verbose.

I often long for the following behavior from Python when I'm running
interactively: When a new module is imported, I'd like the path to the
file providing the module to be printed out to the screen. If the
module is already in sys.modules, then don't worry about printing
anything.

The best thing that I can think of to do is something like:

<python>
__builtins__.__real_import__ = __builtins__.__import__

def noisy_import(name, globals = globals(), locals = locals(), fromlist = []):
printit = name not in sys.modules
mod = __real_import__(name, globals, locals, fromlist)
if printit:
try:
print '## Loading %s (%s)' % (mod.__name__, mod.__file__)
except AttributeError:
print '## Loading %s (built-in)' % mod.__name__
return mod

__builtins__.__import__ = noisy_import
</python>

Which seems to work okay for basic kinds of modules, but doesn't quite
work right for modules that belong to a particular class. Any
suggestions on what I might be missing here? I would imagine that
this is a cookbook type thing, and if there are any references on how
to do this, I'd greatly appreciate it (I couldn't come up with the
right Google magic words).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bengt Richter

First of all, just let me say that I'm aware of the "-v" switch for
Python, and I don't want anything nearly that verbose.

I often long for the following behavior from Python when I'm running
interactively: When a new module is imported, I'd like the path to the
file providing the module to be printed out to the screen. If the
module is already in sys.modules, then don't worry about printing
anything.

The best thing that I can think of to do is something like:

<python>
__builtins__.__real_import__ =3D __builtins__.__import__

def noisy_import(name, globals =3D globals(), locals =3D locals(), fromlist=
=3D []):
printit =3D name not in sys.modules
mod =3D __real_import__(name, globals, locals, fromlist)
if printit:
try:
print '## Loading %s (%s)' % (mod.__name__, mod.__file__)
except AttributeError:
print '## Loading %s (built-in)' % mod.__name__
return mod

__builtins__.__import__ =3D noisy_import
</python>

Which seems to work okay for basic kinds of modules, but doesn't quite
work right for modules that belong to a particular class. Any
You want to go beyond just teasing, and tell us what "particular class"? ;-)
suggestions on what I might be missing here? I would imagine that
this is a cookbook type thing, and if there are any references on how
to do this, I'd greatly appreciate it (I couldn't come up with the
right Google magic words).

Thanks in advance for any help.
The imp module has a lot of info, and some example code that
might be useful.

I'm suspicious of the default values you provide in your noisy_import though.
They are all mutable, though I guess nothing should mutate them. But will they
be valid for all the contexts your hook will be invoked from? (Or are they actually
useless and always overridden?)

Regards,
Bengt Richter