malloc

Angel

Keith Thompson wrote:

[...]
If Bill really wants to learn programming, I suggest that C may be one
of the worst possible languages for him to use. Of the languages I'm
familiar with, Python might be a much better choice.

I have looked at python and it totally blows my mind. Just looking at
the code mind you and not trying to learn. I have read so many times the C
is easy to learn. I've looked at C++ and it is alittle more understnadable
to me. clc is the only place I know to go if I have any C questions. I know
nothing about algorithms and computer science. I have no college training.
I just want to learn a language. I claim nothing more. I know how to use
functions half wy decent in C but coding for results is beyond me. Right now
anyway. I hope that changes some day.

While the syntax of C is fairly simple, the language allows way too much
freedom that can result in bad code or subtle bugs, so IMHO it is not
the best language for someone completely new to programming. For
learning purposes, a strongly typed and rigidly structured language
might be better.

I started with Pascal myself back in high school (okay, I did C64 BASIC
before that), but nowadays Java seems to be the educational language of
choice. If you've seen C++, Java will look very familiar.

If you still want to learn C, well the FAQ for this newsgroup holds a
lot of answers to common questions, take a look there. There are also
free online courses available, just Google a bit for them.

Of course, like with so many computer things, the best way to learn it
is to play with it. Start with small things, like for example a program
that works like the Unix command "cat", and work your way up from there.