Managed Code / Shell

Will Asrari

am working on a project now for a client that requires all managed code.
I have rewritten about 60% of the code and functionality in C# and have
now come to the complicated part of picking apart the existing stored
procedure and "managing" it. Two tasks that I am outing from the stored
procedure are as follows:

1) execution of a .vbs that creates a .txt file (CSV) of user
information

I can achieve the same result as 1 with a streamwriter. This shouldn't
be too complicated. Number 2 is what I am worried about. The .exe will
reside on the same server where my application exists. What would be
the best way to accomplish this task in a managed way?

I tried opening the exe on the server by double-clicking it and got the
following error:

"%E: Cannot find "\Ent=' parameter on the command line."

So there is no GUI. It seems as if this is a simple console application.

Here is the line from the old stored procedure:

SET @LaunchImportString = '\\' + @AppServer +
'\applicationName\sys_exe\ga_imp2.exe /GO /Ent=' + cast(@EntID as
varchar(20)) + ' /Store=1'
exec master..xp_cmdshell @LaunchImportString, no_output

Thanks in advance,

- Will

Andrew Robinson

Will,

Funny finding you here.... One thing that you might look at is using SQL
CLR. It is definately "managed" and might allow you to write out your text
file from within SQL. Another option would be to call the new Windows
command shell aka Monad. Not sure on that and it is still in beta but it
might provide a managed environment I think?

Jennifer is still feeling pretty good so we might just join you for the BBQ.
What can we bring?