Managing database tables through web-forms (automatically)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Antal Rutz, Aug 30, 2006.

  1. Antal Rutz

    Antal Rutz Guest

    Hi,

    I want to manage database(sql) tables through the web: actions like
    insert/edit/list/delete.
    An application often needs just a database table to be easily managable
    through the web by the users.

    Now I realized that everytime I write a new app
    I need to rewrite the whole thing according to the actual
    database/table schema (forms/templates/validation/etc)

    What I'd need:
    A tool/module/anything that helps me to automate this process.
    Something that just needs defining some table scheme and
    not to rewrite the whole thing again.

    Big thanks if you can help me!

    --

    --arutz
    Antal Rutz, Aug 30, 2006

  2. Antal Rutz enlightened us with:
    > I want to manage database(sql) tables through the web: actions like
    > insert/edit/list/delete.

    Check out Django, it has a great database API and on the fly
    auto-generated admin.

    Sybren
    Frank Zappa
    Sybren Stuvel, Aug 30, 2006

  3. Antal Rutz

    Antal Rutz Guest

    Sybren Stuvel wrote:
    > Check out Django, it has a great database API and on the fly
    > auto-generated admin.

    Just gone over the tutorial, really amazing, exactly what I need.
    Big thanks for the hint!

    --

    --arutz
    Antal Rutz, Sep 3, 2006
  4. Antal Rutz enlightened us with:
    >> Check out Django, it has a great database API and on the fly
    >> auto-generated admin.

    > Just gone over the tutorial, really amazing, exactly what I need.

    That's exactly the response I had when I met with Django :)

    Sybren
    Frank Zappa
    Sybren Stuvel, Sep 3, 2006
  5. > >> Check out Django, it has a great database API and on the fly
    > >> auto-generated admin.

    > > Just gone over the tutorial, really amazing, exactly what I need.

    > That's exactly the response I had when I met with Django :)

    Anyone with Django experience: how well does it do with respect to upgrades?

    Suppose you have some version of python, mod_python, apache, sqlite,
    pysqlite, Django and of course your application using all of these.
    Then if you upgrade any one piece in this list how will the whole
    thing continue to work from the point of view of your app and Django
    (so I'm supposing that the only bottle neck can be your app and
    Django, so if the upgrading of, say, sqlite breaks, say, pysqlite that
    doesn't count)?
    Daniel Nogradi, Sep 3, 2006