    We're using VS Pro, not Team System.

    Any help is much appreciated.

    Trev.
    Trevor Hunter, May 26, 2006

  2. Hello Trevor,

    TH> I was wondering if anybody can point me in the right direction to
    TH> find a method or tool to help us manage a central location for
    TH> common dll's that our development team uses on a regular basis.
    TH> The functionality I'm looking for is something similar to the
    TH> concept of a "shared" GAC where developers can point Visual Studio
    TH> to when they need a reference to a DLL. They would have the facility
    TH> of choosing to always use the latest version when building the
    TH> project,

    Why not to keep you common components in the CVS/VSS and share it to the
    all project where you just add reference to it?

    TH> or force a specific version. I just want to take away the
    TH> manual labour required for the developer to manage references in
    TH> their projects.

    This could be set by params in config, where you just specify requred version

    ---
    WBR,
    Michael Nemtsev :: blog: http://spaces.msn.com/laflour

    "At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
    cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsch
    Michael Nemtsev, May 27, 2006

  3. > This could be set by params in config, where you just specify requred
    > version

    Yes, I know that these can be set up in a configuration, but what I'm
    looking for is some way to have a central location of all libraries that
    we use, so all developers can automatically get the latest version when
    they build instead of having to manually copy the referenced libraries
    to their development machine.

    I guess its more a question of development environment setup rather than
    project specific.

    We're (forced to) use CVS for source control and it's a nightmare to
    ensure all developers have the same local directory hierarchy, so I'm
    looking for a better solution for the compiled references. I've
    considered a shared network drive, but there's no way to ensure each
    developer mapped the same drive letter. The ideal thing would be a
    server that we can add references to in our projects - kinda like a web
    reference, but for normal dll's that will be copied locally.

    Thanks for the suggestion... I'll keep looking.
    Trevor Hunter, May 29, 2006
  4. When we do out development, we just create a Dependencies folder in VSS (the
    same would apply to CVS) that is at the same level as the solution. Any
    references added to the project are done via this Dependencies folder.
    This allows any developer to do a "get latest version" and be able to build
    the solutions straight away.

    Alternatively, I believe that references can be added using a UNC path.
    That way, you could store your references on a shared drive, but not worry
    about the drive mapping.
    However, I don't believe that this is a good solution - what's the point of
    source control if the references aren't part of it?

    Brendan Green, May 30, 2006
  5. Brendan Green wrote:
    > When we do out development, we just create a Dependencies folder in VSS (the
    > same would apply to CVS) that is at the same level as the solution.

    This is currently what we do, but it's becoming a pain to manage (mostly
    due to CVS). If we copy the references into the solution folder, they
    have to be manually updated each time the dependency is rebuilt. If we
    share the dependencies across projects, we loose the ability to specify
    which version to use as it will always use the latest.

    > Alternatively, I believe that references can be added using a UNC path.

    Yeah, I thought of that too, but if I'm going that far, I'd rather have
    something with a few more features (e.g. Ability to specify version to
    any level - e.g. 1.2.3.4, 1.2.*, 1.* or * for latest etc.).

    Maybe I'm wishing for the stars, but I just wanted to see what's out there.
    Trevor Hunter, May 30, 2006