manipulating the Windows Device Manager

Erick Bodine

I want to be able to disable/enable a hardware device on a Windoze box
for testing purposes through Python. Cursory searches of the the
win32all extensions, this group and google have not been too
fruitfull. There appears to be a route through WMI but I was
wondering if anyone had done this already before I plumb the depths of
MSDN.

Thanks,

ERick

Joe Francia

Erick said:
I want to be able to disable/enable a hardware device on a Windoze box
for testing purposes through Python. Cursory searches of the the
win32all extensions, this group and google have not been too
fruitfull. There appears to be a route through WMI but I was
wondering if anyone had done this already before I plumb the depths of
MSDN.

Thanks,

ERick

If you want to go the WMI route, I recommend Tim Golden's excellent WMI
module: http://tgolden.sc.sabren.com/python/wmi.html

Peace,
Joe

Colin Brown

Erick Bodine said:
I want to be able to disable/enable a hardware device on a Windoze box
for testing purposes through Python. Cursory searches of the the
win32all extensions, this group and google have not been too
fruitfull. There appears to be a route through WMI but I was
wondering if anyone had done this already before I plumb the depths of
MSDN.

Thanks,

ERick

My experiences with WMI indicate that it is an excellent way of looking at
hardware settings but has limited support for changing many of them. Search
c.l.p for earlier discussions about WMI. It might be worth looking at other
applications that provide COM support or can be driven via popen.

Colin Brown
PyNZ

Erick Bodine

That is exactly what I have found out. I was able to grab the status
of the SCSI controller easy enuf (many kudos to the wmi author) but
there appears to be no way to enable/disable it - no relevant methods
in the Win32_SCSIController class.

--ERick