Mars Rescue Mission Challenge

Tayssir John Gabbour

Frank said:

I don't quite understand this sentence, perhaps I'm not thinking
straight: "If a stone is hit, the speed vectors are devided by 2
(integer devision without fraction) as long as no stone is hit (which
can result in a speed vector of (0, 0))."

So, suppose when step 20 occurs:
* You're 2 pixels left of a stone.
* Your velocity-x will be 2 pixels/step on step 20 and (if possible)
21.
* velocity-y will be arbitrary.
What happens? Are you able to go partly through a stone?

MfG,
Tayssir

Frank Buss

Tayssir John Gabbour said:
I don't quite understand this sentence, perhaps I'm not thinking
straight: "If a stone is hit, the speed vectors are devided by 2
(integer devision without fraction) as long as no stone is hit (which
can result in a speed vector of (0, 0))."

the sentence before is important:

| After this the speed vector is added to the coordinate, but only, if
| the new coordinate does not hit a stone after adding the speed.
So, suppose when step 20 occurs:
* You're 2 pixels left of a stone.
* Your velocity-x will be 2 pixels/step on step 20 and (if possible)
21.
* velocity-y will be arbitrary.
What happens? Are you able to go partly through a stone?

no, the robot is always stone-free. If you are 2 pixels left of a stone
and your velocity-x is 2, the next turn you are 0 pixels left of a stone.
Then adding the velocity will result in hitting a stone, so the new
velocity is (1, velocity-y/2) and because this will result in a hit, too,
again the velocity is devided, which will result in a velocity-x of 0 and
velocity-y devided by 2 again.

Frank Buss

Neo-LISPer said:
Terribly similar to ICFP 2003. No 1 or 3-day time constraint. What's
the fun in that?

I know this challenge (to the other readers: you can see it at
http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/icfpcontest/ ) and I liked the idea,
this is one of the reason for this challenge. There might be many people
who don't know the ICFP challenge, and I hope they'll have fun with it.

One difference in my challenge is that you don't need to simulate fixed-
point arithmetic or complicated definitions of sin and cos. This helps to
concentrate on a good algorithm.

Another difference is the time limit. For my challenge you have much time,
so you can think and test a lot and perhaps there will be some interesting
ideas or variations of the challenge submitted.