Marshalling problem

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Hampton, Nov 26, 2005.

  1. Hampton

    Hampton Guest

    Ok, I've already posted this once, but that was 10 hours ago and it
    still hasn't shown up in the group, so i'm reposting it. Apologizes if
    its already shown up for anyone else...

    -----------

    Alright, so I've been scratching my head about this along with some
    folks over at #ruby-lang.

    This may be a known problem, but after spending a few minutes
    searching, I can't find any reference... so I'll document it here.

    If you take some object and marshal it, then try and concat that
    string, it produces some funny results.

    Here is the test case that I've discovered. I'm thinking this is
    happening because Marshal sends back some weird characters that are
    screwing up the string methods. But, I would still classify that as a
    bug, because when an object returns a string, that should always be a
    fairly safe string to handle or it should be returning something else.
    That would be an invalid or misformed string if you can't even use the
    regular expressions on it.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    #I'm running ruby 1.8.3 on ubuntu
    #email hcatlin at gmail.com with any help

    class MyObject
    def initialize
    @name = "testvar"
    @array = Array.new
    end
    end

    test = MyObject.new
    dumpresult = Marshal.dump(test)
    puts 'Result: ' << dumpresult # Expected: "Result: MYOBJECTDUMP"
    puts 'Result=' << Marshal.dump(test) #Expected
    "Result=MYOBJECTDUMP"
    puts 'Result: ' + dumpresult # Expected: "Result: MYOBJECTDUMP"
    puts 'Result=' + Marshal.dump(test) #Expected
    "Result=MYOBJECTDUMP"
    puts "U=" << Marshal.dump(test) # Expected "U=MYOBJECTDUMP"

    #My result is this code below.

    #MyObject:
    # @array[:
    #@name"
    #testvar
    #MyObject:
    # @array[:
    #@name"
    #testvar
    #MyObject:
    # @array[:
    #@name"
    #testvar
    #MyObject:
    # @array[:
    #@name"
    #testvar
    #MyObject:
    # @array[:
    #@name"
    #testvar
    Hampton, Nov 26, 2005

  2. Hi --

    On Sun, 27 Nov 2005, Hampton wrote:

    > Ok, I've already posted this once, but that was 10 hours ago and it
    > still hasn't shown up in the group, so i'm reposting it. Apologizes if
    > its already shown up for anyone else...

    It has shown up, as have some responses.

    David

    --
    David A. Black
    David A. Black, Nov 26, 2005