    Can someone help me?

    --
    Lezard
    lezard, Jun 1, 2005

  2. lezard

    Richard Bos Guest

    lezard <> wrote:

    > i_before = (i_after & 0x7) | 0x40; // then i_before == 1

    Regardless of anything else, this is impossible. Think about it. How
    could _anything_ | 0x40 ever be 1?

    Richard
    Richard Bos, Jun 1, 2005

  3. lezard

    pete Guest

    lezard wrote:

    > Hello :)
    >
    > i_before = 1;
    > i_after = i_before and a mask;
    > i_before = (i_after & 0x7) | 0x40; // then i_before == 1
    >
    > I don't find what mask is applied to i_before at the second line. :-(
    > Can someone help me?

    Any odd number value for mask, will make the comment true.
    pete, Jun 1, 2005
  4. lezard

    pete Guest

    pete wrote:

    > lezard wrote:
    > >
    > > Hello :)
    > >
    > > i_before = 1;
    > > i_after = i_before and a mask;
    > > i_before = (i_after & 0x7) | 0x40; // then i_before == 1
    > >
    > > I don't find what mask is applied to i_before at the second line. :-(
    > > Can someone help me?

    > Any odd number value for mask, will make the comment true.

    Actually, as Richard Bos stated, there is no value
    which when bitwise ORed with 0x40, yields 1.
    pete, Jun 1, 2005
  5. In article <>, pete <> writes:
    > pete wrote:
    > >
    > > lezard wrote:
    > > >
    > > > i_before = 1;
    > > > i_after = i_before and a mask;
    > > > i_before = (i_after & 0x7) | 0x40; // then i_before == 1
    > > >
    > > > I don't find what mask is applied to i_before at the second line. :-(
    > > > Can someone help me?

    > > Any odd number value for mask, will make the comment true.

    > Actually, as Richard Bos stated, there is no value
    > which when bitwise ORed with 0x40, yields 1.

    True, though there could be a *variable* which, after being bitwise-
    ORed with 0x40, evaluates to 1. It would have to have fewer than
    seven value bits, so it would have to be a bitfield; and since in the
    OP's posted code i_before cannot be the identifier for a bit- field
    (which must be part of a struct or union, and so must be the operand
    of the "." or "->" operator), it would have to be a macro for one.

    (At least I think that's right; corrections cheerfully accepted.)

    --
    Michael Wojcik

    Art is our chief means of breaking bread with the dead ... but the social
    and political history of Europe would be exactly the same if Dante and
    Shakespeare and Mozart had never lived. -- W. H. Auden
    Michael Wojcik, Jun 2, 2005