Master Detail Web Form Challenge

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Datagrid Control' started by Gary Brower, Sep 13, 2003.

  1. Gary Brower

    Gary Brower Guest

    Hi,
    I am using VB.Net to create an ASP web form. My goal is to create a
    master/detail web form that allows users to create new master and detail
    records. For example the form would have header that would have fields for:
    Customer XXXXX
    CustomerAddress XXXXX
    CustomerEtc... XXXXX

    Then there would be a data grid that would allow the user to enter order
    information.
    ItemOrdered QuantityOrdered Price Etc
    XXXXX XXXXX XXX XXXXX
    XXXXX XXXXX XXX XXXXX

    The goal is that the user would enter customer information once, then enter
    many lines of order information, then press send to update the master and
    detail record at the database.

    I thought I could find a quick example and knock this out quick, but after
    extensive looking I have not been able to find an answer. If anyone could
    tell me how this can be done (either the way I have envisioned or perhaps by
    recommending a better way), I would be most appreciative.

    Cheers,
    Gary Brower

    Gary Brower, Sep 13, 2003

  2. Gary Brower

    Saravana Guest

    Check out this two article, this would help you to do this.
    http://www.microsoft.com/india/msdn/articles/Master Detail DataGrid.aspx
    and
    http://www.microsoft.com/india/msdn/articles/SolutionstoTopFourQuestions.asp

    Saravana
    Microsoft India Community Star,MC**
    www.extremeexperts.com

    Saravana, Sep 14, 2003

  3. Gary Brower

    Gary Brower Guest

    The first article is basically what I am trying to do, except that I need
    only one master record (not two data grids) and I need to make the whole
    thing editable. For example, the user can enter one master record and many
    detail records and save the whole thing in one click.

    Thanks for your help.
    Gary Brower

    Gary Brower, Sep 14, 2003
  4. Gary Brower

    Saravana Guest

    In the second article, there is a section called "Editing and Inserting
    Multiple Rows at Once". Using that concept you can make your datagrid fully
    editable. Get back if you want more detail.

    Saravana, Sep 15, 2003
  5. Gary Brower

    Gary Brower Guest

    Thank you for your help. These were great articles.

    Cheers,
    Gary Brower

    Gary Brower, Sep 20, 2003