Master / Details list

Brad Simon

I would like to know how to build a master / list details
page that is a little different than anything I see in
examples.

I want something like this:

Master
Details
Details
Details
Master
Details
Details
Master
Details
Details
Details
Details
Details

I am sure you can get the idea.

How can I do this using any of the data controls? Do I
use a combination of them, or what?

Thanks,
Brad Simon

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Brad,

Here's a great article with code on doing what you need:

Nested Grids for Hierarchical Data

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/03/10/CuttingEdge/

Ken

--

Important: Patch Windows *beyond* Blaster.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-039.asp

[...]

That looks like a great article, but before I start
playing with all that code, does this only work if I want
to expand / collapse the row? Because I am not really
interested in expanding or collapsing the data, I just
want to have it all displayed at one time.

Jos

Brad said:
I would like to know how to build a master / list details
page that is a little different than anything I see in
examples.

I want something like this:

Master
Details
Details
Details
Master
Details
Details
Master
Details
Details
Details
Details
Details

I am sure you can get the idea.

How can I do this using any of the data controls? Do I
use a combination of them, or what?

Thanks,
Brad Simon

Maybe this article will help: