master pages and atlas

Guest

I have a treeview menu on my master page, When I click a menu option the page
"flickers" and loads the content section.

is it possible to add atlas somehow to stop the flickering when I make a
menu selection and load the content section? If so how?

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Most likely not. here is the most probable scenario.

1. User clicks on menu
2. New page is requested
3. Menu is painted in
4. Menu is opened exactly as it was prior to the click

In these cases, the flicker is caused by the fact that the menu is set up in
a default condition and then opened with JavaScript. Atlas will not help
here, unless you change the paint mechanism, but you can change that without
Atlas, as well.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think outside of the box!

Guest

how can I change the "paint mechanism" with or without atlas?
The flickering is annoying

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Alec suggested this, but I am not completely sure it will solve the issue:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/06/06/WickedCode/default.aspx

The only sure fire way to avoid flicker is to hand paint each time rather
than rely on ViewState to JavaScript out to the correct representation. But,
this is a lot of work and might still cause a slight flicker as the page
reloads. You can possibly circumvent by causing the page content to load via
Ajax, but this may push you to a point where all of your data access is
Ajax, which is a hard app to maintain.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think outside of the box!

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hello,

I think the flickering is due to the TreeView control will postback for
node selecting unless the TreeNode is configured as a navigate link(has
NavigationUrl ).

Yes, the Atlas has provided an UpdatePanel which can help postback and
rerender partial of a page without postback. However, any codebehind that
executed and the controls referenced by the updatepanel is also limited to
the controls within that UpdatePanel. For your scenario, you'll load some
certain content at the TreeNode's select event, I think the content area
should be in a different part on the page other than the TreeView's. Thus,
UpdatePanel won't quite work.

BTW, if the load content operation and codelogic does include many
server-side setting changes, I think it's reasonable to postback the page.
Would you provide us some detailed info on how you change the content in
TreeView's SelectedNode change event?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead