Master pages, templates, inheritance

John Holmes

With ASP we have setup a pretty good method for maintaining a consistent
look and feel with minimal effort. The method has it's pros and cons, but
the maintenance is minimal. The method consists of utilizing a single
default.asp page to call any page on the site passing query parameters with
the page to determine what page and associated menu to load. The menu info
is maintained in a database and a COM+ dll is utilized to go to the
database, get xml, and use an XSLT template to transform the data into the
HTML needed for the menu.

This all is working fine, but we are discussing moving to ASP.NET and what
our options are for doing something similar. Some of the development team
have issues with the URL since all pages differ only in the query
parameters. There is a security context issue as well. I've looked on the
net and read various articles from using custom controls, inheritance, page
templates, and other schemes. Everything I've looked at has it's own pros
and cons and I haven't really seen anything that looks like 'the' way to do
it.

I've heard mentions of 'master pages' with the new version of .NET but not
much detail about what it will offer. Before I spend a lot of time trying to
come up with something that works for what I want to do I thought I would
ask in this forum and see if there are specific recommendations from the
user community and if anyone has detailed infomation about master pages that
isn't a bunch of marketing hype.

I would think this is a relatively common thing that sites want to do. If
you have thousands of pages on your site that you want to fit into a common
look and feel (header, menu, footer) what's the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks,

John Holmes
Skagit County Information Services
(e-mail address removed)

moondaddy

is there any sample code in vb.net for these patterns which a person can
download. Its a difficult to understand and translate this into a vb sample
where as if i could download a working sample I could understand what I need
to implement it in a short period of time.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Moondaddy,

As for the Enterprise patterns, currently there seems only C# version in
the MSDN library and I've also provide you a simple demo(in vb.net in
another thread in this group).

For the MasterPage, it is a new feature in the ASP.NET's next release
Whidbey which provide us much stronger capability on generating common base
page and customzied derived pages. Here are some tech article introduce
this feature:

#Standardize Your Site Fast With Master Pages
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/aspnet-standardize-maste
rpages.asp?frame=true

#Master Pages in ASP.NET Whidbey
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/aspnet-masterpages.asp?f