Master Pages

Guest

We have used master pages for our website and everything works fine until we
need to update one of the dll files. When a new dll is added or an old one is
updated the website gives an error message that can be corrected by making a
small change to the master page file(such as adding a space and saving).

Compiler Error Message: BC30260: '__control2' is already declared as
'Private Dim __control2 As System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlLink' in this class.

Source Error:
Line 2: <%@ Register TagPrefix="Sagara" Namespace="Sagara.BreadCrumbs"
Assembly="BreadCrumbs" %>
Line 3: <html>
Line 4: <head runat=server>
Line 5: <meta http-equiv="content-type"
content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1">
Line 6: <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/iris.css">
Source File: E:\TestSite\includes\NoRight.Master

What would cause this error and how can this be prevented?

Guest

You should be able to control this by specifying that the web application
automatically uses a new version of the DLL. If you are going to use 1.x
methodologies (compiling assemblies) with 2.0 (assuming so, since you are
talking master pages), you should compile the site to deploy and deploy that
code whenever changes are made. You get a couple of benefits:

1. The actual pages are not deployed, so you have less likelihood of someone
stealing any source.

2. The site, precompiled, will run quicker, at least in theory.

One other option is to use the new .axd file (precompile.axd or compile.axd)
which will rewalk the site and ensure all use the new DLL. This may still
require telling the app it needs to use a new version of the DLL (in the
config), but I do not think so.

If this is 1.x, the majority of the advice above still works, although you
do not have precompile, etc., but have to use config to indicate new versions
are to be used by your app.
---

Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

***************************
Think Outside the Box!
***************************

Mark Fitzpatrick

Something to keep in mind, if you are using Master Pages for ASP.Net 2.0 and
making your web site public you are violating the license. Currently you
can't deploy ASP.Net solutions publically. There will be a go-live license
sometime at the beginning of the year that will let you do that.

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

Guest

Currently we are using Master Pages for ASP.NET 2.0 on our test site for
development and it is causing the test site to go down when the dlls are
updated on that site.