MATLAB:matplotlib::Mathematica::???

Discussion in 'Python' started by kj, Oct 23, 2010.

  1. kj

    kj Guest

    Is there anything that does for Mathematica what matplotlib does
    for MATLAB?

    matplotlib, even in its underlying so-called "OO mode", follows
    MATLAB's graphics model, which, in my very subjective opinion, is
    vastly inferior to Mathematica's.

    The latter allows for a clean separation between the textual
    specification of a graphic object (which can be very complex), and
    its graphic representation. Furthermore, it is general enough to
    allow for the composition of graphic objects within other graphic
    objects, to arbitrary depth levels. This readily allows for the
    representation of complex composite figures that are common in
    scientific publishing today, where figures not only routinely
    consist of several subfigures, but the subfigures themselves contain
    mutliple sub-subfigures, and so on. (In contrast, matplotlib supports
    at most two levels of composition [a two-dimensional array of
    sub-plots], which is both too inflexible and too limited.)

    More generally, despite its usefulness, I find MATLAB in the end
    to be one big ugly hack, so, as a developer, I would prefer to stay
    clear of anything that is modeled after MATLAB, however loosely.

    Any pointers to something more Mathematica-like in Python would be
    appreciated.

    TIA!

    kj
    kj, Oct 23, 2010

  2. In message <i9v3oh$51s$>, kj wrote:

    > matplotlib, even in its underlying so-called "OO mode", follows
    > MATLAB's graphics model, which, in my very subjective opinion, is
    > vastly inferior to Mathematica's.

    Speaking as someone who once had to do GUI programming in MATLAB, I think
    it’s really only good for one thing: matrix manipulation. Everything else is
    a tacked-on crock.

    > The latter allows for a clean separation between the textual
    > specification of a graphic object (which can be very complex), and
    > its graphic representation. Furthermore, it is general enough to
    > allow for the composition of graphic objects within other graphic
    > objects, to arbitrary depth levels. This readily allows for the
    > representation of complex composite figures ...

    I thought every graphics representation worth its salt allowed that. SVG,
    for example. Why not have a look at that? It’s cross-platform, and easy to
    generate and parse using XML libraries.

    > More generally, despite its usefulness, I find MATLAB in the end
    > to be one big ugly hack, so, as a developer, I would prefer to stay
    > clear of anything that is modeled after MATLAB, however loosely.

    Amen.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 30, 2010