matplotlib in fedora 8,png format and easy_instal failure on 64bit machine

Daniel Fetchinson

Hi folks, I have a number of issues with matplotlib and was wondering
if any of you had similar experiences:

1. I was trying to use the stock matplotlib package that comes with
fedora 8, python-matplotlib-0.90.1-2.fc8 for saving graphs in png
format. This failed, because the written files are all empty. The unix
'file' utility reports that the file is actually png but when viewed
in any image viewer the image is just plain white. Jpg format works
though.

2. I tried grabbing the most recent matplotlib version via
easy_install but it failed compiling it and as far as I could see the
reason was that it tried to use the 32bit libraries instead of the
64bit ones (my machine is a core 2 duo).

Does anyone of you use matplotlib on a 64bit machine for writing
png's? Which version do you use?

Cheers,
Daniel