    not used, or supported by current browsers, anyone know if there is such a
    way to implement something like *maximum width of element* property?

    Thanks
    Disco Octopus, Jan 11, 2004

  2. Disco Octopus

    kayodeok Guest

    "Disco Octopus" <> wrote in
    news:iq9Mb.588$:

    > hi.
    >
    > does anyone know about the "max-width" property? I am trying to
    > implement it in a page. How to do? How to do? How to do? If
    > this is something that is not used, or supported by current
    > browsers, anyone know if there is such a way to implement
    > something like *maximum width of element* property?

    Doesn't work in IE but there is a workaround:

    Maxwidth-Workaround für Internet Explorer (IE)
    http://www.bestviewed.de/css/bsp/maxwidth/

    max-width in Internet Explorer
    http://www.svendtofte.com/code/max_width_in_ie/

    Ideal line length for content
    http://www.maxdesign.com.au/presentation/em/

    --
    Kayode Okeyode
    http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/
    kayodeok, Jan 11, 2004

  3. Disco Octopus

    brucie Guest

    brucie, Jan 11, 2004
  4. in news:btrckb$a86h5$-berlin.de,
    brucie typed:
    > in post <news:iq9Mb.588$>
    > Disco Octopus said:
    >
    >> does anyone know about the "max-width" property?

    > http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visudet.html#min-max-widths

    yep. ta love. but this doesnt work for some browsers. i wanna emulate this
    behaviour for ie. i have found some ways to do it, but they either use
    tables, or javascript, or ie specific code. think i'll go with the tables
    choice.
    Disco Octopus, Jan 11, 2004
  5. Disco Octopus

    Brian Guest

    Disco Octopus wrote:

    > does anyone know about the "max-width" property? I am trying to
    > implement it in a page. How to do? How to do? How to do?

    p {max-width: 50em;}

    > If this is something that is not used, or supported by current
    > browsers,

    Supported by several browsers, including Mozilla, Opera, IE 5.x/Max,
    and Safari. (Not positive about the last 2, as I don't have a Mac on
    which to verify. But I think I've used that in the past with success
    on those browsers.) Likely others.

    Not supported by the operating system component MSIE/Win.

    > anyone know if there is such a way to implement something like
    > *maximum width of element* property?

    ? Uh, "maximum width of element" property, yeah, it's called "max-width."

    f'ups suggested

    --
    Brian
    follow the directions in my address to email me
    Brian, Jan 11, 2004
  6. "kayodeok" <> wrote in message
    > "Disco Octopus" <> wrote in
    >
    > > hi.
    > >
    > > does anyone know about the "max-width" property? I am trying to
    > > implement it in a page. How to do? How to do? How to do? If
    > > this is something that is not used, or supported by current
    > > browsers, anyone know if there is such a way to implement
    > > something like *maximum width of element* property?
    > >

    > Doesn't work in IE but there is a workaround:
    >
    > Maxwidth-Workaround für Internet Explorer (IE)
    > http://www.bestviewed.de/css/bsp/maxwidth/
    >
    > max-width in Internet Explorer
    > http://www.svendtofte.com/code/max_width_in_ie/

    The trick in the above-cited page works only if the ambient font size is set
    to a number rather than a number and a measurement unit or a relative size.
    Too bad! Does anyone know of a way to have the expression compute the font
    size in pixels given that is specified as, say, "80%"?
    Harlan Messinger, Jan 12, 2004
  7. Disco Octopus

    Bob Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 22:28:25 +1000, "Disco Octopus"
    <> wrote:

    > think i'll go with the tables
    >choice.

    The serious downside to the table choice is that as soon as
    you put a max (pixel) width on, the tables change to truncate
    mode on resize instead of re-wrap mode.
    Bob, Jan 13, 2004