max-width property

Disco Octopus

hi.

does anyone know about the "max-width" property? I am trying to implement
it in a page. How to do? How to do? How to do? If this is something that is
not used, or supported by current browsers, anyone know if there is such a
way to implement something like *maximum width of element* property?

Thanks

kayodeok

hi.

does anyone know about the "max-width" property? I am trying to
implement it in a page. How to do? How to do? How to do? If
this is something that is not used, or supported by current
browsers, anyone know if there is such a way to implement
something like *maximum width of element* property?
Doesn't work in IE but there is a workaround:

Maxwidth-Workaround für Internet Explorer (IE)
http://www.bestviewed.de/css/bsp/maxwidth/

max-width in Internet Explorer
http://www.svendtofte.com/code/max_width_in_ie/

Ideal line length for content
http://www.maxdesign.com.au/presentation/em/

Brian

Disco said:
does anyone know about the "max-width" property? I am trying to
implement it in a page. How to do? How to do? How to do?

p {max-width: 50em;}
If this is something that is not used, or supported by current
browsers,

Supported by several browsers, including Mozilla, Opera, IE 5.x/Max,
and Safari. (Not positive about the last 2, as I don't have a Mac on
which to verify. But I think I've used that in the past with success
on those browsers.) Likely others.

Not supported by the operating system component MSIE/Win.
anyone know if there is such a way to implement something like
*maximum width of element* property?

? Uh, "maximum width of element" property, yeah, it's called "max-width."

f'ups suggested

Harlan Messinger

kayodeok said:
Doesn't work in IE but there is a workaround:

Maxwidth-Workaround für Internet Explorer (IE)
http://www.bestviewed.de/css/bsp/maxwidth/

max-width in Internet Explorer
http://www.svendtofte.com/code/max_width_in_ie/

The trick in the above-cited page works only if the ambient font size is set
to a number rather than a number and a measurement unit or a relative size.
Too bad! Does anyone know of a way to have the expression compute the font
size in pixels given that is specified as, say, "80%"?

Bob

think i'll go with the tables
choice.

The serious downside to the table choice is that as soon as
you put a max (pixel) width on, the tables change to truncate
mode on resize instead of re-wrap mode.