Maximum Character Value and Collation

Discussion in 'Java' started by alan@ljubljana.agtrz.com, Aug 13, 2005.

  1. Guest

    , Aug 13, 2005

  2. <> schreef in bericht
    news:...

    > I'm writing a tree structure to store strings and would like a maximum
    > character value to serve as a boundry.
    >
    > Is there a universal maximum character value that will survive in
    > collation algrotihms? Is that value Character.MAX_VALUE?

    No, that is only the largest value of type char (=0xFFFF). The maximum code
    point value is Character.MAX_CODE_POINT (=0x10FFFF), which is the absolute
    maximum in Unicode 4. For the next few decades, Integer.MAX_VALUE
    (=0xFFFFFFFF) will be far beyond the maximum code point value, but it is not
    valid in Unicode.

    Boudewijn Dijkstra, Aug 13, 2005