    allocate through C++ program on Windows XP OS. Though its system
    dependant I guess it shouldn't be more than 4GB on 32 bit machine.

    , Aug 29, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > I am new to c++. how we can see - how much maximum memory we can
    > allocate through C++ program on Windows XP OS. Though its system
    > dependant I guess it shouldn't be more than 4GB on 32 bit machine.

    Please ask in a Windows XP OS programming newsgroup. C++ is but
    a language, any platform-specific elements, like the amount of memory
    available to a program on a particular OS, are discussed elsewhere.
    The list of suggested newsgroups is in the FAQ, section 5.

    Victor Bazarov, Aug 29, 2006

    wrote:
    > hi,
    >
    > I am new to c++. how we can see - how much maximum memory we can
    > allocate through C++ program on Windows XP OS. Though its system
    > dependant I guess it shouldn't be more than 4GB on 32 bit machine.

    If you keep allocating memory on VM system like XP, you may not even
    get memory exception pass allocating over physical memory limits.
    System will always try to satisfy the memory request at the expense of
    performance. You may keep track of Page file but that will be platform
    specific and is OT here. Better approach will be to take another
    (critical) look at your algorithm.

    George Privalov

    , Aug 29, 2006
  4. red floyd Guest

    wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> hi,
    >>
    >> I am new to c++. how we can see - how much maximum memory we can
    >> allocate through C++ program on Windows XP OS. Though its system
    >> dependant I guess it shouldn't be more than 4GB on 32 bit machine.

    Yeah, it's OT, but I'm in a forgiving mood this afternoon :)

    It depends on which version of XP/2003/2000 you have.

    In general you get 2GB of virtual address space. If the system was
    booted with the /3GB flag, you get 3GB. This is for the workstation
    versions. Your mileage may vary for the Advanced/Enterprise/Datacenter
    versions which support much more physical memory. I believe they still
    restrict processes to 2 or 3GB of virtual memory per process, however.

    As always, since this is OT, you should take this with a large grain of
    salt, and ask in a platform specific newsgroup. See
    http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.9 for a
    list of suggested groups.

    red floyd, Aug 29, 2006