    way of achieving the same with gcc (i.e. grouping a
    number of statements with labels)? Thanks in advance.

    M. K. Shen

    Mok-Kong Shen, Dec 31, 2003

  2. Mok-Kong Shen <> scribbled the following:
    > Apology, if this is OT. (Please kindly refer me eventually
    > to another group.)

    > With VC++ I can embed asm statements in a function e.g.
    > as follows:

    > __asm
    > {
    > je lab
    > lab:

    > But gcc seems not to accept this. What is the proper
    > way of achieving the same with gcc (i.e. grouping a
    > number of statements with labels)? Thanks in advance.

    This is indeed OT. Try gnu.gcc.help.

    "Keep shooting, sooner or later you're bound to hit something."
    - Misfire

    Joona I Palaste, Dec 31, 2003

  3. Mok-Kong Shen

    Ben Pfaff Guest

    Mok-Kong Shen <> writes:

    > Apology, if this is OT. (Please kindly refer me eventually
    > to another group.)

    Your question is outside the domain of comp.lang.c, which discusses
    only the standard C programming language, including the standard C
    library. This is a remarkably narrow topic compared to what many
    people expect.

    For your convenience, the list below contains topics that are not
    on-topic for comp.lang.c, and suggests newsgroups for you to explore
    if you have questions about these topics. Please do observe proper
    netiquette before posting to any of these newsgroups. In particular,
    you should read the group's charter and FAQ, if any (FAQs are
    available from www.faqs.org and other sources). If those fail to
    answer your question then you should browse through at least two weeks
    of recent articles to make sure that your question has not already
    been answered.

    * OS-specific questions, such as how to clear the screen,
    access the network, list the files in a directory, or read
    "piped" output from a subprocess. These questions should be
    directed to OS-specific newsgroups, such as
    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.misc, comp.unix.programmer, or
    comp.os.linux.development.apps.

    * Compiler-specific questions, such as installation issues and
    locations of header files. Ask about these in
    compiler-specific newsgroups, such as gnu.gcc.help or
    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.misc. Questions about writing
    compilers are appropriate in comp.compilers.

    * Processor-specific questions, such as questions about
    assembly and machine code. x86 questions are appropriate in
    comp.lang.asm.x86, embedded system processor questions may
    be appropriate in comp.arch.embedded.

    * ABI-specific questions, such as how to interface assembly
    code to C. These questions are both processor- and
    OS-specific and should typically be asked in OS-specific
    newsgroups.

    * Algorithms, except questions about C implementations of
    algorithms. "How do I implement algorithm X in C?" is not a
    question about a C implementation of an algorithm, it is a
    request for source code. Newsgroups comp.programming and
    comp.theory may be appropriate.

    * Making C interoperate with other languages. C has no
    facilities for such interoperation. These questions should
    be directed to system- or compiler-specific newsgroups. C++
    has features for interoperating with C, so consider
    comp.lang.c++ for such questions.

    * The C standard, as opposed to standard C. Questions about
    the C standard are best asked in comp.std.c.

    * C++. Please do not post or cross-post questions about C++
    to comp.lang.c. Ask C++ questions in C++ newsgroups, such
    as comp.lang.c++ or comp.lang.c++.moderated.

    * Test posts. Please test in a newsgroup meant for testing,
    such as alt.test.

    news.groups.questions is a good place to ask about the appropriate
    newsgroup for a given topic.

    --
    "I'm not here to convince idiots not to be stupid.
    They won't listen anyway."

    Ben Pfaff, Dec 31, 2003
  4. Mok-Kong Shen wrote:

    > Apology, if this is OT. (Please kindly refer me eventually
    > to another group.)
    >
    > With VC++ I can embed asm statements in a function e.g.
    > as follows:
    >
    > __asm
    > {
    > je lab
    > lab:
    >
    > But gcc seems not to accept this. What is the proper
    > way of achieving the same with gcc (i.e. grouping a
    > number of statements with labels)? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > M. K. Shen

    It is OT, but the answer should be obvious: some C's permit assembly
    to be embedded in them. But the method is non-standard, and the codes
    must, naturally, depend on the target machine. M$ C and Borland Turbo C
    (as well as the venerable de Smet C) allowed code embedding, but they
    were aimed at a single platform, namely Intel machines.

    --
    Julian V. Noble
    Professor Emeritus of Physics

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/~jvn/

    "God is not willing to do everything, and thereby take away our free wiil
    and that share of glory that rightfully belongs to ourselves."

    -- N. Machiavelli, "The Prince".

    Julian V. Noble, Dec 31, 2003
  5. Mok-Kong Shen

    Randy Howard Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Apology, if this is OT. (Please kindly refer me eventually
    > to another group.)

    Better yet, did you even consider a google for:
    gcc inline assembler

    ??

    --
    Randy Howard