    I've switched the appearance of www.odd-info.com to a very plain
    vanilla layout and color scheme. What do you think? Will I loose
    anything due to such simplicity? - Jeff

    javawizard, Jul 10, 2007

  2. javawizard

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    javawizard wrote:
    > I've switched the appearance of www.odd-info.com to a very plain
    > vanilla layout and color scheme. What do you think? Will I loose
    > anything due to such simplicity? - Jeff

    Nothing wrong with being plain and simple. Couple of things you could do to
    make it look a lot nicer without getting any more complex though:

    Switch your font to sans-serif. It's just nicer to read on a computer
    screen.

    Your "Tell a friend about Odd Info" box, it's ugly. Lose the 3d beveled
    effect, bring it into line with the simplicity of the rest of the page.

    Nik Coughlin, Jul 10, 2007

  3. javawizard

    Bergamot Guest

    javawizard wrote:
    > I've switched the appearance of www.odd-info.com to a very plain
    > vanilla layout and color scheme. What do you think? Will I loose
    > anything due to such simplicity? - Jeff

    Nothing wrong with simple, but 4 things that could make it better are:
    1. Get rid of the fixed width on the home page.
    2. Think about grouping the TOC in categories rather than just listing
    everything alphabetically.
    3. Lose the bolded paragraph text on the inside pages. It does not make
    it easier to read.
    4. Use some CSS instead of the 1990's style coding. It will make
    maintenance way easier in the future.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Jul 10, 2007
  4. javawizard

    Bergamot Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > javawizard wrote:
    >> I've switched the appearance of www.odd-info.com to a very plain

    > Switch your font to sans-serif. It's just nicer to read on a computer
    > screen.

    Actually, he didn't set any particular font. You might want to change
    your own browser default, which is apparently a serif. ;)

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Jul 10, 2007
  5. javawizard

    andrew Guest

    On 2007-07-10, javawizard <> wrote:
    > I've switched the appearance of www.odd-info.com to a very plain
    > vanilla layout and color scheme. What do you think? Will I loose
    > anything due to such simplicity? - Jeff

    I am always a big fan of simple layout and well researched
    information. In my opinion your page could benefit from acquiring a
    style sheet and losing the Google ads.

    All the best,

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew's Corner
    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/mutt.html

    andrew, Jul 11, 2007
  6. javawizard

    freemont Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 14:07:45 -0700, javawizard writ:

    > I've switched the appearance of www.odd-info.com to a very plain
    > vanilla layout and color scheme. What do you think? Will I loose
    > anything due to such simplicity? - Jeff

    You might want to get rid of the fifteen hundred or so empty paragraphs at
    the bottom that Frontpage so helpfully inserted for you. ;-)

    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    ¯`·..·¯`·-> freemont <-·¯`·..·¯

    freemont, Jul 11, 2007
  7. javawizard

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 10 Jul 2007 21:07:45 GMT
    javawizard scribed:

    > I've switched the appearance of www.odd-info.com to a very plain
    > vanilla layout and color scheme. What do you think? Will I loose
    > anything due to such simplicity? - Jeff

    I'd center the 2-columnish "lists"/text in the predominant right-hand box.
    'Course, that would probably reduce the simplicity of the markup.

    --
    Neredbojias
    A self-made man who worships his creator

    Neredbojias, Jul 11, 2007
  8. freemont wrote:
    > On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 14:07:45 -0700, javawizard writ:
    >
    >> I've switched the appearance of www.odd-info.com to a very plain
    >> vanilla layout and color scheme. What do you think? Will I loose
    >> anything due to such simplicity? - Jeff

    > You might want to get rid of the fifteen hundred or so empty paragraphs at
    > the bottom that Frontpage so helpfully inserted for you. ;-)

    Holy crap!

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 11, 2007
  9. On Jul 10, 5:07 pm, javawizard <> wrote:
    > I've switched the appearance ofwww.odd-info.comto a very plain
    > vanilla layout and color scheme. What do you think? Will I loose
    > anything due to such simplicity? - Jeff

    Probably not. Your site is a list of links.

    But even with such a simple page you still have a ton or errors.

    Travis Newbury, Jul 11, 2007
  10. javawizard

    freemont Guest

    On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 02:49:43 +0000, Blinky the Shark writ:

    > freemont wrote:
    >> On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 14:07:45 -0700, javawizard writ:
    >>
    >>> <www.odd-info.com>

    >> You might want to get rid of the fifteen hundred or so empty paragraphs at
    >> the bottom that Frontpage so helpfully inserted for you. ;-)

    > Holy crap!

    Ok I exaggerated. There are *only* 137 of them. :-\

    freemont, Jul 11, 2007
  11. freemont wrote:
    > On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 02:49:43 +0000, Blinky the Shark writ:
    >
    >> freemont wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 14:07:45 -0700, javawizard writ:

    >>> You might want to get rid of the fifteen hundred or so empty paragraphs at
    >>> the bottom that Frontpage so helpfully inserted for you. ;-)

    >> Holy crap!

    > Ok I exaggerated. There are *only* 137 of them. :-\

    Well, then...that's reasonable. :)

    (I looked at them when you brought them up.)

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 11, 2007