    0-7356-1236-6
    0-7356-1927-1

    My question is will these books work for a beginner?

    Wanna be MC, Mar 30, 2006

  2. Wanna be MC

    Wanna be MC Guest

    And by beginner I mean, not already programming anything .net
    I only have a little experience with some *basic* php and mysql stuff.

    Wanna be MC, Mar 30, 2006

  3. We could already tell you were a beginner, since you posted the ISBNs of the
    books, expecting someone here to either recognize the books by their ISBNs,
    or go look them up.

    --
    ;-),

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    Professional Numbskull

    Show me your certification without works,
    and I'll show my certification
    *by* my works.

    Kevin Spencer, Mar 31, 2006
  4. Wanna be MC

    Wanna be MC Guest

    Wanna be MC, Mar 31, 2006
  5. Wanna be MC

    carl Guest

    The first link (MCAD/MCSD Self-Paced Training Kit) is a four book set
    that contains the third book you have listed. I read this set when I
    took the exams and they definitely helped (and contained discounts for
    exam vouchers). The second book you have listed is a nice intro to
    ADO.NET, but the other books contain chapters on ADO.NET, so it may not
    be too helpful.

    If you're new to programming, these books won't provide a good
    introduction to things like Object Orientated design, design patterns,
    etc. If you don't have a background in CS/CE, reading up on software
    fundamentals will help you on the exams and in your career, imo.

    Also, MS has new certifications that focus on .NET 2.0,
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/default.asp, w/c may be of
    interest to you.

    Good luck,
    Carl

    carl, Mar 31, 2006
  6. Wanna be MC

    Wanna be MC Guest

    Okay to rephrase my question. Can I read these books and learn how to
    program asp.net/csharp or are they only drill books that help you brush up
    on your skills?

    Wanna be MC, Apr 1, 2006
  7. Wanna be MC

    carl Guest

    They're pretty much study guides for the exams, with no introduction to
    the languages. A book like MS Press' Programming in the Key of C#
    (http://tinyurl.com/gqf7k) or C# Step by Step
    (http://tinyurl.com/kcht6) would be a better introduction to the
    language. Once you're past the language basics there are better books
    for advanced topics. The Training Kit books are good for exam prep, but
    not much else.

    -Carl

    carl, Apr 1, 2006
  8. Wanna be MC