MC Exam 70-305 questions.

Wanna be MC

Hi all, I had a question about this exam. Well, actually the books they
recommend and not the actual exam.

Here are the book ISBNs
0-7356-1925-5
0-7356-1236-6
0-7356-1927-1

My question is will these books work for a beginner?

Wanna be MC

And by beginner I mean, not already programming anything .net
I only have a little experience with some *basic* php and mysql stuff.

Kevin Spencer

We could already tell you were a beginner, since you posted the ISBNs of the
books, expecting someone here to either recognize the books by their ISBNs,
or go look them up.

--
;-),

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
Professional Numbskull

Show me your certification without works,
and I'll show my certification
*by* my works.

carl

The first link (MCAD/MCSD Self-Paced Training Kit) is a four book set
that contains the third book you have listed. I read this set when I
took the exams and they definitely helped (and contained discounts for
exam vouchers). The second book you have listed is a nice intro to
ADO.NET, but the other books contain chapters on ADO.NET, so it may not
be too helpful.

If you're new to programming, these books won't provide a good
introduction to things like Object Orientated design, design patterns,
etc. If you don't have a background in CS/CE, reading up on software
fundamentals will help you on the exams and in your career, imo.

Also, MS has new certifications that focus on .NET 2.0,
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/default.asp, w/c may be of
interest to you.

Good luck,
Carl

Wanna be MC

Okay to rephrase my question. Can I read these books and learn how to
program asp.net/csharp or are they only drill books that help you brush up
on your skills?

carl

They're pretty much study guides for the exams, with no introduction to
the languages. A book like MS Press' Programming in the Key of C#
(http://tinyurl.com/gqf7k) or C# Step by Step
(http://tinyurl.com/kcht6) would be a better introduction to the
language. Once you're past the language basics there are better books
for advanced topics. The Training Kit books are good for exam prep, but
not much else.

-Carl