mcafee on-access scan slows Java (a lot)

timasmith

Hi,

I am sooo frustrated. We have McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 7.1 and the
on-access scan brings Java applications (including eclipse) to their
needs - seems to scan all the jar files.

What a disaster - I have to disable it everytime I want to run a java
program - and of course it auto enables itself after 5 minutes or so.

Is there anything I can do?

I can hardly ask my less techy users to disable it temporary to run
programs... ugh...

Tim

Roedy Green

I am sooo frustrated. We have McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 7.1 and the
on-access scan brings Java applications (including eclipse) to their
needs - seems to scan all the jar files.

I have used a number of virus scanners, but not McAffee. If you dig
in the options you should be able to control which extensions it
scans. Turn off *.jar.
You also could set it up just do nightly scans instead every time a
program runs.

If you don't use floppies others have used, and you don't use IE, and
you don't use Outlook and you don't open email enclosures viruses,
will not get you. They may exist in email attachments, but they will
do no harm.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/virus.html

?

.

Hi,

I am sooo frustrated. We have McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 7.1 and the
on-access scan brings Java applications (including eclipse) to their
needs - seems to scan all the jar files.

What a disaster - I have to disable it everytime I want to run a java
program - and of course it auto enables itself after 5 minutes or so.

Is there anything I can do?

I can hardly ask my less techy users to disable it temporary to run
programs... ugh...

Talk to McAfee and see what they have to say. If they don't have a
solution then suggest switching to Norton. Hopefully there is a filter to
the scan. Then you can add *.jar to the list of files not to scan.

Luc The Perverse

"." said:
Talk to McAfee and see what they have to say. If they don't have a
solution then suggest switching to Norton. Hopefully there is a filter to
the scan. Then you can add *.jar to the list of files not to scan.

WHOA! Hold on a minute.

I hope you are not suggesting switching from ANYTHING to Norton to speed
things up.

Norton is one of the most bloated and slow virus scanners in existence.

PC-Cillian is pretty good about performance/support etc.

Read this antivirus comparison article
http://www.overclockers.com/articles1260/

Alex Buell

Talk to McAfee and see what they have to say. If they don't have a
solution then suggest switching to Norton. Hopefully there is a filter to
the scan. Then you can add *.jar to the list of files not to scan.

Under no circumstances change to Norton; they are shit, pure and
simple. Sophos are my favourite enterprise AV, and for personal use,
I'd suggest AVG from Grisoft (http://www.free.grisoft.com)

Luc The Perverse

Roedy Green said:
it that chart it was the slowest.

The price is nice though :)

I don't like virus scanners at all. I don't use any because in general I
don't need them.

Occassionally I use the only panda virus scanner
http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan.htm for shits and giggles.
It always comes back as no infections.

If my brother comes over and uses my computer I boot up into knoppix and
scan windows from Linux. If I find anything then I reformat and start over
(I haven't had to do this since I encrypted my hard drive, I don't know if
there is a version of Knoppix that works with Compusec)

I simply don't have valuable information that cannot be replaced. I have no
reason for hackers to target me and I don't foolishly go around opening EXE
files. I keep windows patched and consider myself reasonably secure.
Maybe someday my system will be compromised and I will change my mind, but
for the most part I don't believe that a virus scanner protects against that
anyway.

Just my two cents.

Luc The Perverse

Alex Buell said:
You're not making any sense, can you ease up on whatever you're on?

He means that AVG is slower than/as slow as Norton, which is slower than
McAfee - none of which might be a problem, if the original poster's issue
weren't an issue of speed :)

Roedy Green

You're not making any sense, can you ease up on whatever you're on?

If you are having trouble understanding, perhaps it is YOU with the
drug problem slowing your thinking

If you needed clarification, you could simply have just asked without
the gratuitous insult.

But SCREW YOU. I won't ever help you again, not even to explain the
reference to "that chart".

Alex Buell

If you are having trouble understanding, perhaps it is YOU with the
drug problem slowing your thinking

If you needed clarification, you could simply have just asked without
the gratuitous insult.

But SCREW YOU. I won't ever help you again, not even to explain the
reference to "that chart".

Ouch. I only meant it as a joke and I do apologise for that.