MD5 Help Page

Daniel 'Dang' Griffith

I'm referring to the text in
http://www.python.org/doc/2.4.2/lib/module-md5.html, which shows the
same thing I see in the Windows version of the help.

The two examples show:

'\xbbd\x9c\x83\xdd\x1e\xa5\xc9\xd9\xde\xc9\xa1\x8d\xf0\xff\xe9'

as the output, and that is indeed what I see when I run the examples.

But if I use hexdigest() instead of digest(), I get this result:

'bb649c83dd1ea5c9d9dec9a18df0ffe9'

I don't understand the difference. Specifically, in the output of
digest, it shows a 'd' where I expect to see \x64. What causes this
difference?

Thanks,
--dang