MD5 problems

Rudy

Hello all!

I'm working with the following code..

Function DBAuthenticate(ByVal strUsername As String, ByVal strPassword As
String) As Integer
Dim conLogin As SqlConnection
Dim cmdSelect As SqlCommand
Dim parmReturnValue As SqlParameter
Dim intResult As Integer

conLogin = New
SqlConnection("Server=localhost;UID=**;PWD=**;Database=sample")
cmdSelect = New SqlCommand("DBAuthenticate", conLogin)
cmdSelect.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure
parmReturnValue = cmdSelect.Parameters.Add("RETURN_VALUE",
SqlDbType.Int)
parmReturnValue.Direction = ParameterDirection.ReturnValue
cmdSelect.Parameters.Add("@username", strUsername)
cmdSelect.Parameters.Add("@password", strPassword)
'Encrypt the password
Dim md5Hasher As New MD5CryptoServiceProvider

Dim hashedDataBytes As Byte
Dim encoder As New UTF8Encoding

hashedDataBytes = md5Hasher.ComputeHash(encoder.GetBytes(strPassword))

Dim paramPwd As SqlParameter
paramPwd = New SqlParameter("@password", SqlDbType.Binary, 16)
paramPwd.Value = hashedDataBytes
cmdSelect.Parameters.Add(paramPwd)

conLogin.Open()
cmdSelect.ExecuteNonQuery()
intResult = cmdSelect.Parameters("RETURN_VALUE").Value
conLogin.Close()
If intResult < 0 Then
If intResult = -1 Then
lblMessage.Text = "This guest is not registered."
Else
lblMessage.Text = "Sorry, invalid password."

End If
End If
Return intResult

End Function

with this line " hashedDataBytes =
md5Hasher.ComputeHash(encoder.GetBytes(strPassword))" I am geting the
following error

'Public Overrides Function GetBytes(s As String) As Byte()': Value of
type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox' cannot be converted to 'String'.

Any thoughts?

Rudy

Jason Brown [MSFT]

try

hashedDataBytes =
md5Hasher.ComputeHash(encoder.GetBytes(strPassword.ToString()))

I'm assuming your textbox is cdalled 'strpassword'?

Rudy

Hi Jason!

Actually, my textbox is "txtnicPass.text"

hashedDataBytes = md5Hasher.ComputeHash(encoder.GetBytes(txtnicPass.Text))

Sorry, I forgot to change to my original code, and problem. So with this, I
get this error
" Value of type '1-dimensional array of Byte' cannot be converted to 'Byte'."

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Rudy