Menu Control with Multiview Control ???

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Brad Isaacs, Feb 8, 2007.

  1. Brad Isaacs

    Brad Isaacs Guest

    Good morning friends,

    I am working with ASP.NET 2.0 -- VB code behind

    I have created tabbed pages using the Menu control with the Multiview
    control. Using the menu control to display the tabs, and the Multiview
    control to display the content that corresponds to the selected tab.

    My Menu control needs to be able to switch language from English or French
    depending on the language chosen by the user.

    At the moment I have hard coded the Text: area to the English language.

    I tried to dump asp code to pick either ENG language or FRE depending on the
    page lang="en" or page lang="fr"
    <%

    If Request.QueryString("lang") = "en" Then

    %>

    However I receive an ::::::::::::::::::: Error: ASP.NET
    Runtime..........Code blocks are not supported in this context.

    My question is,

    Is there a way to access the Text portion of the Menu control to switch
    languages from English to French on the Source side of the code OR should I
    try and access it through the vb.aspx code side of things? And how may I
    chnage it back and forth.

    Please see below....................

    My Menu control CODE:
    <asp:Menu

    id="menuTabs"

    CssClass="menuTabs"

    StaticMenuItemStyle-CssClass="tab"

    StaticSelectedStyle-CssClass="selectedTab"

    Orientation="Horizontal"

    OnMenuItemClick="menuTabs_MenuItemClick"

    Runat="server" Width="370px" BackColor="Transparent"
    DynamicHorizontalOffset="2" Font-Names="Arial" Font-Size="0.8em"
    ForeColor="Transparent" StaticSubMenuIndent="10px" Font-Bold="True"
    Height="20px" BorderColor="Transparent">

    <Items>

    <asp:MenuItem

    Text="ENGLISH FIRST SECTION" <<<<< --- Need to have this change to

    Value="0"

    Selected="True" />

    <asp:MenuItem

    Text="ENGLISH SECOND SECTION" <<<<< --- Need to have this change to

    Value="1"/>

    <asp:MenuItem

    Text="ENGLISH THIRD SECTION"<<<<< --- Need to have this change to

    Value="2" />

    </Items>

    <StaticMenuItemStyle CssClass="tab" HorizontalPadding="5px"
    VerticalPadding="2px" />

    <StaticSelectedStyle CssClass="selectedTab" BackColor="White" />

    <DynamicHoverStyle BackColor="Transparent" />

    <DynamicMenuStyle BackColor="Transparent" BorderColor="Transparent" />

    <DynamicSelectedStyle ForeColor="Black" />

    <DynamicMenuItemStyle HorizontalPadding="5px" VerticalPadding="2px" />

    <StaticHoverStyle BorderStyle="Solid" Font-Bold="True" />

    </asp:Menu>

    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,

    Thanks in advance,

    ~Brad

    ------------------------------
    Brad Isaacs
    ..NET Web Developer
    www.webdevcreations.com

    Brad Isaacs, Feb 8, 2007

  2. Brad Isaacs

    clintonG Guest

    What you want to learn is called localization.

    --
    <%= Clinton Gallagher
    NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com

    clintonG, Feb 8, 2007

  3. Brad Isaacs

    Brad Isaacs Guest

    Can you elaborate?

    Localization........my web site uses localization, only the Menu control
    does not hold TEXT inside its Expressions in order to use my localization.

    Do you have an example, can you reference me to a tutorial......or any ....?

    Brad Isaacs, Feb 8, 2007
  4. Brad Isaacs

    clintonG Guest

    // the following search term is all I can suggest...
    localizing the asp.net menu control site:msdn2.microsoft.com

    <%= Clinton

    clintonG, Feb 9, 2007
  5. Brad Isaacs

    Brad Isaacs Guest

    Hi Clinton,

    Thanks for your help.

    ~Brad

    ps: Kool Google map of where you are........& web site~

    Brad Isaacs, Feb 9, 2007
  6. Brad Isaacs

    Brad Isaacs Guest

    Hi Clinton,

    When I first tried to insert the Resource file tags into my menu control
    code blocks, I had made a typo unknowingly....hence the error.

    As I thought, it was a simple fix..................

    <asp:MenuItem

    Text="<%$ Resources:Resources, FirstTab %>"

    Value="0"

    Selected="True" />

    <asp:MenuItem

    Text="<%$ Resources:Resources, SecondTab %>"

    Value="1"/>

    <asp:MenuItem

    Text="<%$ Resources:Resources, ThirdTab %>"

    Value="2" />

    </Items>

    Thanks again,

    ~Brad