menu js in webresource

gerry

vs2005 .net 2.0
I have a simple site with a sitemap file and a masterpage that contains a
menu which uses the sitemap as its datasource.

when I browse the site within studio everything works fine.
when i deploy to a site on the same server using a web deployment project
and browse the deployed site I get a lot of javascript errors.

the menu script is of course included in the page as a webresource
if I download just the menu script by using the resource url , it turns out
that the script served up by the deployed site is different ( and full or
errors ) than that served up by studio's internal web server.
if I open the deployed web site in studio and browse the script using the
internal web server returned is again ok.
If I "Copy Website" the deployed site to a site on another physical server
the script served up from the remote site is good.

Does anyone know how exactly this script is generated - is there a template
somewhere or is it generated on the fly ?
And why am I consistently getting this messed up version from the deployed
web site via IIS but not through studios internal server ?

The first bit of each script file is included below.

Gerry

The good file from within studio :

var __rootMenuItem;
var __menuInterval;
var __scrollPanel;
var __disappearAfter = 500;
function Menu_ClearInterval() {
if (__menuInterval) {
window.clearInterval(__menuInterval);
function Menu_Collapse(item) {
Menu_SetRoot(item);
if (__rootMenuItem) {
Menu_ClearInterval();
if (__disappearAfter >= 0) {
__menuInterval = window.setInterval("Menu_HideItems()",
__disappearAfter);

And here is what should be the same script as served up by the deployed site
with the script errors pointed out :

var __rootMenuItem;
var __menuInterval;
var __scrollPanel; var __disappearAfter = 500;
function Menu_ClearInterval() {
0 if (__menuInterval) {
window.clearInterval(__menuInTerval);
function Mene_Collapse(item) {