?Merging files based on first two comma delimited fields?

parkerdg

Thanks to help from this newsgroup I've learned how to put together
simple Perl scripts. Perl has saved me tons of time in my work and
I've enjoyed learning to use Perl.

Now I have a more challenging problem that I'm not experienced enough
figure out myself. I need to modify a file with data from a second
file.
Certain rows in the first file need to be replaced by the corresponding
rows in the second file. Here are the details:

File 1, filename.aro
An input file to a commercial flow network code with the following
format. The file size is relatively small, maybe 300 lines, ~100 kb:
[Header]
Header data

[Preferences]
Preference data

[Junctions]
4,1,...comma delimited data
4,504,...comma delimited data
12,3,...comma delimited data
3,4,...comma delimited data

[Pipes]
1,Pipe,...comma delimited data
605,Pipe,...comma delimited data
3,Pipe,...comma delimited data
10,Pipe,...comma delimited data
11,Pipe,...comma delimited data

Certain rows in the [Junctions] and [Pipes] sections need to be
replaced
with corresponding lines in file 2. The rows to be replaced will have
matching data in the first two comma delimited fields. This file will
be
very small, typically about 20 lines.

File 2, filename.csv:
4,504,...new comma delimited data
3,4,...new comma delimited data
605,Pipe,...new comma delimited data
3,Pipe,...new comma delimited data

In this example, the 4 lines in file 2 need to overwrite the
corresponding lines in file 1. I've put together the following script
but I can't get the comparison of the first two comma delimited
fields to work. I haven't been able to figure it out and any guidance
would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dave

#!C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe
# aftmod.pl aftfilename.aro

# Update AFT Branch and Pipe Data from Comma Delimited Text File (.csv)
# The directory must contain a comma delimited file with the same
# filename that defines the modifications: aftfilename.csv

use warnings;
use strict;

# Get AFT model name from command line argument.
my $filename=$ARGV[0];
$filename =~ s/\.[^.]*$//; # Strip extension

#Copy .aro to OLD.aro
system "copy $filename.aro $filename-OLD.aro\n";

# Open files for processing
open (OUT, ">$filename.aro") or die;
open (CSV , "<$filename.csv") or die;
open (OLD , "<$filename-OLD.aro") or die;

# Store CSV file into array
my @csv_lines = <CSV>;

# Process OLD .aro file
foreach my $aro_line (<OLD>) {
if ($aro_line !~ /,/) {
print OUT ($aro_line); # Output non-comma delimited rows
}
else {
# Seriously f'd up here
foreach my $csv_line (@csv_lines) {
if ($aro_line =~ /^((\w+),(\w+),)/ and $csv_line =~
m{/$1$}i) {
print OUT ($csv_line);
}
else {
print OUT ($aro_line);
last;

# Close Files
close OLD;
close CSV;
close OUT;

Alexandre Jaquet

(e-mail address removed) a écrit :
[...]

May you put some real datas who came from the two files

Paul Lalli

[...]

Below is a framework to get you started. Assumptions:
1) The first two fields of the replacement CSV are unique. In other
words, there is at most one line that starts with exactly
alpha,123,
2) There is a blank line at the end of both the [Junctions] and [Pipes]
sections
3) You can modify the file to read in your actual replacement csv file,
rather than using the __DATA__ marker

For more information about the techniques used here:
perldoc perlrun (search for the -i option)
perldoc perlop (search for the .. "flip-flop" operator)

[untested]
#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;

my %replacements;
while (<DATA>){
#store a list of replacements, keyed on the first two CSV fields
my ($key) = /^(.*?,.*?),/;
$replacements{$key} = $_;

#enable in-line edit mode
local @ARGV = ('file_to_modify.txt');
local $^I = '.bkp';

while (<>){
#if we're in a [Junctions] or [Pipes] section
if ( (/^\[Junctions\]$/ .. /^\s*$/) or
(/^\[Pipes\]$/ .. /^\s*$/) ) {
if ( /^(.*?,.*?),/ ) {
my $key = $1;
#if the first 2 fields are in our replacements list
if (exists $replacements{$key}){
#replace the line with the replacement
$_ = $replacements{$key};
} continue {
print;

__DATA__
4,504,...new comma delimited data
3,4,...new comma delimited data
605,Pipe,...new comma delimited data
3,Pipe,...new comma delimited data

Hope this helps,
Paul Lalli

Stephen O'D

[...]

You could read the smaller file into a hash, and then print to you
output depending on whether it exists or not. An example is better ...

my $s, $b;
open ($s, "in2") || die "Could not open small file: $!";
open ($b, "in1") || die "Could not open big file: $!";

my %small_file;
while (<$s>) {
my ($field1, $field2, $rest) = split /,/,$_,3;
$small_file{"$field1,$field2"} = $_;
}

while (<$b>) {
my ($field1, $field2, $rest) = split /,/,$_,3;
if ( exists( $small_file{"$field1,$field2"} ) ) {
print $small_file{"$field1,$field2"};
} else {
print $_;

$ more in1
4,1,...comma delimited data
4,504,...comma delimited data
12,3,...comma delimited data
3,4,...comma delimited data
1,Pipe,...comma delimited data
605,Pipe,...comma delimited data
3,Pipe,...comma delimited data
10,Pipe,...comma delimited data
11,Pipe,...comma delimited data

$ more in2
4,504,...new comma delimited data
3,4,...new comma delimited data
605,Pipe,...new comma delimited data
3,Pipe,...new comma delimited data

$ perl munge
4,1,...comma delimited data
4,504,...new comma delimited data
12,3,...comma delimited data
3,4,...new comma delimited data
1,Pipe,...comma delimited data
605,Pipe,...new comma delimited data
3,Pipe,...new comma delimited data
10,Pipe,...comma delimited data
11,Pipe,...comma delimited data

I think that does what you want ...

Mark Clements

[...]

I'd try to make life easier for myself and make use of CPAN. Use
something like Config::IniFiles for reading and writing the complete
file (this assumes I haven't misunderstood the file format), and then
something like DBD::CSV or Text::CSV_XS to handle the comma-separated
rows. Comparison of the fields should then be relatively straightforward.

Mark

William James

[...]

This is an easy problem for Awk programmers:

BEGIN { FS = ","
## We want to read 2nd file first.
t = ARGV[1] ; ARGV[1]=ARGV[2] ; ARGV[2]=t
}
## Reading file with updates?
FILENAME == ARGV[1] { a[$1,$2]=$0 ; next }
## Now we're reading the main file.
($1,$2) in a { $0 = a[$1,$2] }
{ print }

xhoster

Thanks to help from this newsgroup I've learned how to put together
simple Perl scripts. Perl has saved me tons of time in my work and
I've enjoyed learning to use Perl.

Now I have a more challenging problem that I'm not experienced enough
figure out myself. I need to modify a file with data from a second
file.
Certain rows in the first file need to be replaced by the corresponding
rows in the second file. Here are the details:

Assuming no other complications (like the fields being optionally quoted
or otherwise escaped):
# Open files for processing
open (OUT, ">$filename.aro") or die;
open (CSV , "<$filename.csv") or die;
open (OLD , "<$filename-OLD.aro") or die;

# Store CSV file into array
my @csv_lines = <CSV>;

# use the hash, Luke, use the hash.

my %csv_line;
while (<CSV>) {
my ($key1,$key2) = split /,/;
$csv_line{"$key1,$key2"}=$_;
};

# Process OLD .aro file
foreach my $aro_line (<OLD>) {
if ($aro_line !~ /,/) {
print OUT ($aro_line); # Output non-comma delimited rows
}
else {
my ($key1,$key2) = split /,/;
print OUT $csv_line{"$key1,$key2"} || $_;

John W. Krahn

[...]

Here is one way to do it (UNTESTED):

#!C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe
# aftmod.pl aftfilename.aro

# Update AFT Branch and Pipe Data from Comma Delimited Text File (.csv)
# The directory must contain a comma delimited file with the same
# filename that defines the modifications: aftfilename.csv

use warnings;
use strict;

# Get AFT model name from command line argument.
( my $filename = $ARGV[ 0 ] ) =~ s/\.[^.]*\z//; # Strip extension

# rename .aro to OLD.aro
rename "$filename.aro", "$filename-OLD.aro"
or die "Cannot rename $filename.aro to $filename-OLD.aro: $!";

# Open files for processing
open CSV, '<', "$filename.csv" or die "Cannot open $filename.csv: $!";
open OLD, '<', "$filename-OLD.aro" or die "Cannot open $filename-OLD.aro: $!";
open OUT, '>', "$filename.aro" or die "Cannot open $filename.aro: $!";

my %csv;
while ( <CSV> ) {
my $key = join ',', ( split /,/ )[ 0, 1 ];
$csv{ $key } = $_;
}
close CSV;

while ( <OLD> ) {
my $key = join ',', ( split /,/ )[ 0, 1 ];
$_ = $csv{ $key } if exists $csv{ $key };
print OUT;
}
close OUT;
close OLD;

__END__

John

dgp

Awesome - the hash suggestion works perfectly!

Dave Parker