Message Queues for IPC in Java?

dimitrik107

In past job, I heard people talk about message queues in Java to
communicate with other Java process on same host. I think their talking
about FIFOs in the UNIX world (you know use posix mkfifo() etc). I
searched around, but I see nothing in javadoc or anywhere about message
queues.

Is there such a capability in Java? Please don't write to write C++ .so
and use JNI. May be there is 3rd party that provides this? Maybe those
people were lying :(

Another IPC is also acceptable anything. I already know about RMI.
Anything else? Thanks.

Michael Rauscher

In past job, I heard people talk about message queues in Java to
communicate with other Java process on same host. I think their talking
about FIFOs in the UNIX world (you know use posix mkfifo() etc). I
searched around, but I see nothing in javadoc or anywhere about message
queues.

Is there such a capability in Java? Please don't write to write C++ .so
and use JNI. May be there is 3rd party that provides this? Maybe those
people were lying :(

Another IPC is also acceptable anything. I already know about RMI.
Anything else? Thanks.

Did your former colleagues discuss JMS, perhaps?

There are many ways of IPC, e. g. you could use: lock files, pipes,
sockets, TCP/IP, HTTP, RMI, Corba, ... I assume one could write pages of
possibilities.

Bye
Michael

dimitrik107

Michael said:
Did your former colleagues discuss JMS, perhaps?

There are many ways of IPC, e. g. you could use: lock files, pipes,
sockets, TCP/IP, HTTP, RMI, Corba, ... I assume one could write pages of
possibilities.

Bye
Michael

You may be right. I look for the fastest. Shared memory using memory
maps is fast, but dont think java has it. I want similar performance,
which should I use? I know RMI do not compare to a Shared memory in
unix. Thank you for help.

Michael Rauscher

You may be right. I look for the fastest. Shared memory using memory
maps is fast, but dont think java has it. I want similar performance,
which should I use? I know RMI do not compare to a Shared memory in
unix. Thank you for help.

One possibility for shared memory: threads.

Bye
Michael