MessageFormat with apostrophe's

Panda

I'm trying to use MessageFormat with text that has apostrophe's.

My text is

Payé depuis le début de l''année, exercice financier {0}

but MessageFormat isn't returning the text with the apostrophe -
instead I get
Payé depuis le début de lannée, exercice financier 2003 (after the
substitution)

My call in the code is :

MessageFormat.format(lm.getLabel(50923, userLangLower),currentYrArray)

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so how do I
format the initial text before passing it in to the MessageFormat.

I tried - Payé depuis le début de l''année, exercice financier '{'0}
like the javadoc implied but that didn't work.

Thanks.