Meta-C question about header order

Jens Schweikhardt

hello, world\n

consider a small project of 100 C source and 100 header files.
The coding rules require that only C files include headers,
headers are not allowed to include other headers (not sure if
this is 100% the "IWYU - Include What You Use" paradigma).

The headers contain only what headers should contain:
prototypes, typedefs, declarations, macro definitions.

The problem: given a set of headers, determine a sequence of
#include directives that avoids syntax errors due to undeclared
identifiers. I.e. if "foo.h" declares type foo_t and "bar.h" uses
foo_t in a prototype, "bar.h" must be included before "foo.h".

I'm not a computer scientist, but it sounds as if this requires a
topological sort of all the '"foo.h" needs "bar.h"' relations. Now the
interesting part is: how to automate this, i.e. how to determine "this
header declares identifiers A, B, C and requires X, Y, Z"? I looked
at IWYU by google, but it requires a clang source tree plus some more
hoop jumping and that's way too elephantine, so I gave up not knowing
whether it would provide a solution.

Can you think of a lightweight way to solve this? Maybe using perl, the
unix tool box, make, gmake, gcc, a C lexer?

Regards,

Jens

Stefan Ram

Jens Schweikhardt said:
interesting part is: how to automate this, i.e. how to determine "this
header declares identifiers A, B, C and requires X, Y, Z"? I looked

If you really deem this to be »interesting«, then go ahead
and write it.
Can you think of a lightweight way to solve this? Maybe using perl, the
unix tool box, make, gmake, gcc, a C lexer?

The common solution is IIRC: Allow that every header includes
all headers needed and use include-guards.

There also is a special tool: "idep" by "stolk", hard to
find nowadays. Also check out the Linux »tsort« command
for topological sorts.

Keith Thompson

Jens Schweikhardt said:
hello, world\n

consider a small project of 100 C source and 100 header files.
The coding rules require that only C files include headers,
headers are not allowed to include other headers (not sure if
this is 100% the "IWYU - Include What You Use" paradigma).

That strikes me as a stupid^H^H^H^H^H^H suboptimal rule.

You'll have headers that depend on other headers, but without that
relationship being expressed in the source.
[...]

So you need to build a set of tools that would be unnecessary if you
were allowed to have #include directives in headers.

A not quite serious suggestion: Cheat.

Write your headers *sanely*, with headers #including any other
headers they need. Make sure this version of the code compiles
and executes correctly. Now all the dependencies are explicitly
specified in the #include directives.

Create a tool that analyzes the *.h and *.c files and generates *new*
..h and .c files, where the .h files have their #include directives
removed, and the .c file have any required #include directives
added in the correct order.

This only works if everyone works only on the first version of the code;
the version with #include directives in the .c files is useful only to
satisfy the arbitrary rule.

A more realistic method: Rather than having #include directives in
headers, add comments that specify the dependencies, and write a tool
that uses those comments.

Better yet: Drop the rule and use #include directives as needed.

Ian Collins

Jens said:
hello, world\n

consider a small project of 100 C source and 100 header files.
The coding rules require that only C files include headers,
headers are not allowed to include other headers (not sure if
this is 100% the "IWYU - Include What You Use" paradigma).

I agree with the other comments of the folly of this rule. Don't do it!

Just take a look at some of your system headers, or popular open source
library headers and consider whether you want all of the conditional
includes and other and unnecessary nonsense in all of your source files?

luser- -droog

[...]

The way I've "solved" this in my postscript interpreter source,
is to use header guards and the preprocessor's #error directive
to describe what header needs to be included.

If header X needs Y to be previously included, then check for
Y's header guard and #error if not defined.

Y.h:

#ifndef Y_H
#define Y_H
//contents of Y
#endif

X.h:

#ifndef X_H
#define X_H

# ifndef Y_H
# error must include Y.h before X.h
# endif

#endif

glen herrmannsfeldt

That strikes me as a stupid^H^H^H^H^H^H suboptimal rule.
You'll have headers that depend on other headers, but without that
relationship being expressed in the source.
(snip)

A not quite serious suggestion: Cheat.
Write your headers *sanely*, with headers #including any other
headers they need. Make sure this version of the code compiles
and executes correctly. Now all the dependencies are explicitly
specified in the #include directives.
Create a tool that analyzes the *.h and *.c files and generates *new*
.h and .c files, where the .h files have their #include directives
removed, and the .c file have any required #include directives
added in the correct order.

How about a tool that, for each C file analyzes the .h files,
then copies them in the appropriate nested order into one big .h
file for each .c file. Then modifies the .c file to include the
combination .h file. Only slightly different than your suggestion,
but maybe different enough.

-- glen

Kaz Kylheku

hello, world\n

consider a small project of 100 C source and 100 header files.
The coding rules require that only C files include headers,
headers are not allowed to include other headers (not sure if
this is 100% the "IWYU - Include What You Use" paradigma).

The headers contain only what headers should contain:
prototypes, typedefs, declarations, macro definitions.

The problem: given a set of headers, determine a sequence of
#include directives that avoids syntax errors due to undeclared
identifiers. I.e. if "foo.h" declares type foo_t and "bar.h" uses
foo_t in a prototype, "bar.h" must be included before "foo.h".

Projects organized according to this principle don't actually need to solve
this problem, because they start small, at which point it is easy to get the
order right by hand. Then they grow incrementally, whereby it is easy to
maintain the correct order. When a new source file is added, its section of
#include directives can be copied from another file and tweaked.
I'm not a computer scientist, but it sounds as if this requires a
topological sort of all the '"foo.h" needs "bar.h"' relations. Now the
interesting part is: how to automate this, i.e. how to determine "this
header declares identifiers A, B, C and requires X, Y, Z"? I looked
at IWYU by google, but it requires a clang source tree plus some more
hoop jumping and that's way too elephantine, so I gave up not knowing
whether it would provide a solution.

Can you think of a lightweight way to solve this? Maybe using perl, the
unix tool box, make, gmake, gcc, a C lexer?

Here is possible algorithm, at least for reasonably well behaved
headers: iterate over the header files, and for each one compile a dummy
translation unit which includes it, to discover the set of header files file
which can be included without any of the other files. These are the "root" or
"stratum 0" headers in the dependency tree.

Next, find the set of headers which can be individually included if all these
"stratum 0" headers are already present. The set of these is "stratum 1".

Then iterate through the remaining strata.

Kaz Kylheku

A rule that says that a header can NOT include other headers, even if it
depends on the contents of that header is, in my mind, totally broken.

I used to think so fresh out of school.

But actually, this style is superior because leads to much cleaner code
organization and faster compilation. It keeps everything "tight".

I chose this approach in the TXR project, and am very pleased with it.
I understand now why some people recommend it.

The compiler diagnostics are simpler. None of this:

"Syntax error in line 32 of X
included from line 42 of Y,
included from line 15 of Z ..."

Also, the dependencies are easy to understand. If you look at the
list of #include directives at the top of a .c file, those are
the files which, if they are touched, will trigger a re-compile
of this file. And no others!

It's easy to generate a dependency makefile. If we have a foo.c
with these contents:

#include <stdio.h>
#include "a.h"
#include "b.h"
#include "foo.h"

then the dependency rule is precisely this:

foo.o: foo.c a.h b.h foo.h

Done! At a glance we know all the dependencies. Our regular confrontation with
these dependencies in every source file prevents us from screwing up the
program with a spaghetti of creeping dependencies.
It totally breaks the concept of encapsulation.

Not any more than a hammer which doesn't dispense its own nails and wooden
planks.

Anyway, there is no encapsulation to speak of; we are dealing with a primitive
text file inclusion mechanism which doesn't even come close to solving the
modularity problem.

The fact that you have a Makefile (or whatever) which has to list object files
breaks "encapsulation".

The order in which you have to set up global initialization calls breaks
"encapsulation".

Proper module support in a language solves everything. You can just say "This
module uses that one", and the linking, global initialization, incremental
recompilation and linking are all taken care of.

Emulating one small aspect of this with #includes is pointless.

Ian Collins

Kaz said:
I used to think so fresh out of school.

But actually, this style is superior because leads to much cleaner code
organization and faster compilation. It keeps everything "tight".

The faster compilation argument is a non-starter these days.
I chose this approach in the TXR project, and am very pleased with it.
I understand now why some people recommend it.

The compiler diagnostics are simpler. None of this:

"Syntax error in line 32 of X
included from line 42 of Y,
included from line 15 of Z ..."

Also, the dependencies are easy to understand. If you look at the
list of #include directives at the top of a .c file, those are
the files which, if they are touched, will trigger a re-compile
of this file. And no others!
And?

It's easy to generate a dependency makefile. If we have a foo.c
with these contents:

#include <stdio.h>
#include "a.h"
#include "b.h"
#include "foo.h"

then the dependency rule is precisely this:

foo.o: foo.c a.h b.h foo.h

A decent make will do this for you.
Done! At a glance we know all the dependencies. Our regular confrontation with
these dependencies in every source file prevents us from screwing up the
program with a spaghetti of creeping dependencies.

Not any more than a hammer which doesn't dispense its own nails and wooden
planks.

Anyway, there is no encapsulation to speak of; we are dealing with a primitive
text file inclusion mechanism which doesn't even come close to solving the
modularity problem.

So would you rather include and maintain all of the headers (and
accompanying platform specific conditional include spaghetti) a
particular library uses in every source file, or just include the
library's public header? All of that crud is the encapsulation referred
to here.
The fact that you have a Makefile (or whatever) which has to list object files
breaks "encapsulation".

Not when bringing in a library.

Kaz Kylheku

The faster compilation argument is a non-starter these days.

Personal preference.

Even if the recompile is fast thanks to the hardware, I would still rather wait
5 seconds for a recompile than 8 seconds.

The faster the machines get, the less I tolerate response and turnaround time.

And, I like it; I think it is beautiful to have an explicit view of the
dependencies laid out in the code.

Another benefit: no ugly #ifndef SYMBOL / #define SYMBOL ... #endif crap
in all the header files! Just a comment block and the definitions!
A decent make will do this for you.

I don't know of any make that generates dependencies. Compilers do (e.g gcc -MM).

This is nicer.
So would you rather include and maintain all of the headers (and
accompanying platform specific conditional include spaghetti) a
particular library uses in every source file, or just include the
library's public header? All of that crud is the encapsulation referred
to here.

When we divide the program into libraries, we are adding a level to the
organizational hirarchy. So it would be too pigheaded not to allow the
permitted #include level to also increase by one level.

The library does encapsulate; as a user of the library, I don't care
about how it is divided into modules.

Of course a library is a unit, and it should ideally provide one simple header
(or one for each major feature area).

If a library has some base definitions that are used by several features, then
I'd probably want to have a header for those base definitions which must be
included before the main features.

But all these headers can, internally, include the detailed internal headers:
all of the needed ones, in the correct order (which do not include other
headers).
Not when bringing in a library.

Actually yes. If library X also needs library Y, which also needs library Z,
you will have to break encapsulation and link in all of these, even though you
only have #include "X.h".

The documentation for X might say that you need to initialize Y first, etc.

The simplicity of #include "X.h" only goes so far.

Ian Collins

Kaz said:
Personal preference.

Even if the recompile is fast thanks to the hardware, I would still rather wait
5 seconds for a recompile than 8 seconds.

My lost point was that in practice where the includes are included makes
no real difference to the build time.
The faster the machines get, the less I tolerate response and turnaround time.

I must admit I do miss being able to do crosswords during builds :)
And, I like it; I think it is beautiful to have an explicit view of the
dependencies laid out in the code.

Another benefit: no ugly #ifndef SYMBOL / #define SYMBOL ... #endif crap
in all the header files! Just a comment block and the definitions!

Yes, but if there are platform or other outside dependencies which
govern which headers a particular configuration requires, they have to
be written out in each source file. If code were write once, change
never this wouldn't be a problem. But it isn't (except for perl, which
we all know is a write only language).
I don't know of any make that generates dependencies. Compilers do (e.g gcc -MM).

This is nicer.

OK, "the build system" will do this for you!
When we divide the program into libraries, we are adding a level to the
organizational hirarchy. So it would be too pigheaded not to allow the
permitted #include level to also increase by one level.

The library does encapsulate; as a user of the library, I don't care
about how it is divided into modules.

Of course a library is a unit, and it should ideally provide one simple header
(or one for each major feature area).

No argument there then.

BartC

consider a small project of 100 C source and 100 header files.
The coding rules require that only C files include headers,
headers are not allowed to include other headers

Whose rule is that? Because it seems to be broken by most standard headers.

(If I look at windows.h for example, it is a mess of conditional directives
and includes for 25 or 30 other files; I don't fancy having all that in my
own sources. Besides which, a different compiler will have a different
windows.h. You can't get away from the problem.)

(not sure if
this is 100% the "IWYU - Include What You Use" paradigma).

The headers contain only what headers should contain:
prototypes, typedefs, declarations, macro definitions.

The trouble, any of those could rely on 'something' which is in another
header. Yet the rest of the module does not directly use that 'something',
and shouldn't have to care about all those indirect includes (I'm not
allowed to use the word 'imports').

Should module A, needing to include library B, also have to include 29 other
include files that B uses?

And if A also needs library C, which uses some of those 29 files plus some
of its own, which order should these dozens of extra files appear in?
Besides, a new update of B or C may have a different set of includes, but
now you need to update all those extra includes in A.

It's best if these things are as self-contained as possible; A.c:

#include "B.h"
#include "C.h"

You don't even need to worry about whether B needs C, or C needs B, or even
if they have mutual dependencies.
I'm not a computer scientist, but it sounds as if this requires a
topological sort of all the '"foo.h" needs "bar.h"' relations. Now the
interesting part is: how to automate this, i.e. how to determine "this
header declares identifiers A, B, C and requires X, Y, Z"? I looked
at IWYU by google, but it requires a clang source tree plus some more
hoop jumping and that's way too elephantine, so I gave up not knowing
whether it would provide a solution.

Can you think of a lightweight way to solve this? Maybe using perl, the
unix tool box, make, gmake, gcc, a C lexer?

I'm not sure it's even possible, because of the mutual or circular
dependencies I mentioned.

Malcolm McLean

Whose rule is that? Because it seems to be broken by most standard headers.

(If I look at windows.h for example, it is a mess of conditional directives
and includes for 25 or 30 other files; I don't fancy having all that in my
own sources. Besides which, a different compiler will have a different
windows.h. You can't get away from the problem.)
It's case of one rule for libraries, one rule for user code.

Unless you work for Microsoft, you're unlikely to want to touch windows.h.
So the priority is ease for the application programmer, he wants to just
include "windows.h" and have everything work, including backwards
compatibility. The MS programmer working on windows system files has a mess
to work through.

If you're not writing a library, however, then the main audience is maintaining
programmers who come after you. It makes life easier far them if they have
a list of all the files a module depends on, and if by a simple text search
they can get a list of all modules that depend on it. Then it's easy to
check manually whether a change will cause problems elsewhere.

Jens Schweikhardt

#
# If you really deem this to be »interesting«, then go ahead
# and write it.
#
#>Can you think of a lightweight way to solve this? Maybe using perl, the
#>unix tool box, make, gmake, gcc, a C lexer?
#
# The common solution is IIRC: Allow that every header includes
# all headers needed and use include-guards.

The "common solution" is quick and dirty. It leads to include spaghetti,
careless sprinkling of #include directives, useless #includes that are
actually not needed, horrific dependency generation for "make", longer
compile time, useless file system access churn, lint warnings about
repeated headers, the need for include guards, and other uglyness that
our rule avoids. There's also ample prior art in Unix, with sys/socket.h
requiring sys/types.h and so on. (I understand why ISO C takes a different
approach, but that's not the point; I'm strictly interested in the
code for the project.)

We have used doxygen to generate "A includes B" and "A is included by B"
graphs. The result was a big mess, uglier than hell, as soon as one
module needs access to just 10 other modules on average.

Now the graphs are one root with N leaves. Beauty!
Dependency generation is looking at the C file's includes. Beauty!
No more lint warning about repeated header inclusion. Beauty!
No need for include guards. Beauty!

I can live with a topological sort to flatten the dependency graphs.
It's a bit of rocket science to create it automatically, but hey,
I *am* in the rocket science business.

Regards,

Jens

Jens Schweikhardt

in <[email protected]>:
#> On 4/12/14, 3:37 PM, Jens Schweikhardt wrote:
#>> hello, world\n
#>>
#>> consider a small project of 100 C source and 100 header files.
#>> The coding rules require that only C files include headers,
#>> headers are not allowed to include other headers (not sure if
#>> this is 100% the "IWYU - Include What You Use" paradigma).
#>>
#>
#> A rule that says that a header can NOT include other headers, even if it
#> depends on the contents of that header is, in my mind, totally broken.
#
# I used to think so fresh out of school.

We all did, at one time or another. The approach is attractive because
it's so simple and the ugly consequences are hidden (mostly behind sheer
compute power and fast disk access).

[...]

Finally someone who has seen the light, too. I have nothing to
add except that if you were a girl, I'd like to marry you :)

Regards,

Jens

Jens Schweikhardt

in <[email protected]>:
#> hello, world\n
#>
#> consider a small project of 100 C source and 100 header files.
#> The coding rules require that only C files include headers,
#> headers are not allowed to include other headers (not sure if
#> this is 100% the "IWYU - Include What You Use" paradigma).
#
# That strikes me as a stupid^H^H^H^H^H^H suboptimal rule.

I thought the same some time ago, but was able to leave the
dark side behind me and become a good jedi.

# You'll have headers that depend on other headers, but without that
# relationship being expressed in the source.

This is exactly what I want to avoid. I *want* the dependencies to be as
clear as possible. I want to look at the include directives and have
them stare right at me; it helps me realize when there is too much
interdependency emerging and rethink modularization and write smaller
sexier interfaces.

Sprinkling yet another include in yet another header is just piling mess
upon mess.

Regards,

Jens

Jens Schweikhardt

in <[email protected]>:
# Jens Schweikhardt wrote:
#> hello, world\n
#>
#> consider a small project of 100 C source and 100 header files.
#> The coding rules require that only C files include headers,
#> headers are not allowed to include other headers (not sure if
#> this is 100% the "IWYU - Include What You Use" paradigma).
#
# I agree with the other comments of the folly of this rule. Don't do it!
#
# Just take a look at some of your system headers, or popular open source
# library headers and consider whether you want all of the conditional
# includes and other and unnecessary nonsense in all of your source files?

The "unnecessary nonsense" is all the #ifndef crap in third party
headers. Looking at system headers makes me cringe. It's not a role
model.

There's a reason why the lint we use (Gimpel's FlexeLint) has an option
to warn about repeated use of headers along arbitrary include chains. I
realize beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but I suspect that all
the participants of this thread calling my approach stupid haven't
really given much thought to it. There are many advantages to it (see my
other posts in this thread).

Regards,

Jens

Jens Schweikhardt

in <[email protected]>:
[...]

That's an interesting approach. Thanks for sharing!

Regards,

Jens

Jens Schweikhardt

in <[email protected]>:
# #
#> consider a small project of 100 C source and 100 header files.
#> The coding rules require that only C files include headers,
#> headers are not allowed to include other headers
#
# Whose rule is that? Because it seems to be broken by most standard headers.

Those aren't the problem. It's a rule strictly for our project headers.
Third party libraries can do what they want.

[...]

If it needs to, yes. I believe that this would be no different
with the "common include" rule. Eventually all the 29 headers
would be included. Most likely even *many times over.* Under
our rule each exactly once. Beauty!

#> Can you think of a lightweight way to solve this? Maybe using perl, the
#> unix tool box, make, gmake, gcc, a C lexer?
#
# I'm not sure it's even possible, because of the mutual or circular
# dependencies I mentioned.

You can't have circular include dependencies, no matter what rule
you follow. In the end, all identifiers must be declared/defined
before use (modulo some esoteric situations like tag names in
prototype scope).

Regards,

Jens

BartC

Jens Schweikhardt said:
in <[email protected]>:
#> hello, world\n
#>
[...]

(I've been roundly castigated, and called a 'troll' to boot, for daring to
talk about non-C language ideas in this group, so I'm taking my life in my
hands here, but here goes...)

I have converted a project (of maybe 16 or so modules) from C source using
traditional headers, into a scheme that uses 'import' statements (you say
what module you're importing and it takes care of the details).

However, the C approach was much more straightforward! Instead of a single
line such as:

#include "header.h"

which took care of everything, and was exactly the same in every module,
each module now had from six to twelve import statements, different for each
module. You need to be ultra-aware of interdependencies, module hierarchy
etc, and to my mind it's a lot more work.

Maybe that discipline is a good thing, and can help create modules with
better-defined interfaces that can then be more easily used in other
projects. But it also has its headaches!

However, even such a scheme doesn't give a full list of dependencies: each
module only lists the imports it directly needs directly.

You've made a reasonably good case for having declare everything, but I'm
not sure that's workable. Because the libraries, headers, whatever resources
a particular header might need for its workings, should be a private
(encapsulated) part of it. Otherwise when you next compile an updated
version, you might have a bunch of compilation errors to sort out!