Meta Information for Ruby -- Continuation of the discussion about testNG needing function attributes

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Jeff Wood, Sep 1, 2005.

  1. Jeff Wood

    Jeff Wood Guest

    I just came across this very interesting module today. And I really
    think it provides the functionality I had been looking for when
    thinking about HOW to add testNG ( testNG.org ) behavior into
    Test::Unit

    So, if any of you have the time, please take a look at :
    http://mephle.org/MetaTags/

    ... also, I think this wouldn't be a bad format for building
    documentation into ruby.

    I mean, I don't know if it's been brought up before, but I really
    think it would be useful to the newbies constantly joining our ranks
    to have functionality similar to pythons doc strings and function help
    that's built into the language.

    if the first block of stuff within a class, module, def, etc is a
    document-comment ( meaning wrapped in triple-quotes ) then that
    information is stored in the object.
    also, as things are parsed into objects, if we could simply set aside
    a snapshop of how the function was defined... then, provide all of
    this information under a .help method for the object. I think that
    would be nice.

    I've built something kinda like this using calls to RI from my help
    function but, of course that doesn't cover things that ri can't reach
    or aren't documented.

    Anyways, opinions & feedback are always appreciated.

    I look forward to hearing from you all.

    --=20
    "http://ruby-lang.org -- do you ruby?"

    Jeff Wood

    Jeff Wood, Sep 1, 2005

  2. FYI,

    we are working with Tran to implement something like this in Nano/Mega.
    Similar functionality is more or less available in Nitro/Og but we plan
    to generalize this, simplify/refactor/improve the implementation and
    make it useful for other projects.

    regards,
    George.

    George Moschovitis, Sep 2, 2005