    before it displays...please cc a copy of your message to
    -Thanks
    -Robin

    Robin, Jan 9, 2004

  2. Robin

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Jan 9, 2004

  3. Robin wrote:
    > I used to know this, how do you set up a page to load all of it's
    > stuff before it displays...

    So you can teach this insipid technique to others via your HTML "help" page?
    I don't think so.

    > please cc a copy of your message to

    I assume you also used to know usenetiquette but have forgotten. Asking for
    private email is not good. Saying "here's my site omg its the greatest!!!1"
    when one look reveals that not only is your knowledge out of date but you
    are willing to pass this misinformation onto others, is not good either.

    Just lurk before posting, that's all.

    --
    Andrew Cameron
    "Got my hand on my heart, I know no better location..."

    Andrew Cameron, Jan 9, 2004
  4. Robin

    Cameron Guest

    Andrew Cameron wrote:

    <snip>
    > Saying "here's my site omg its the greatest!!!1"
    > when one look reveals that not only is your knowledge out of date but you
    > are willing to pass this misinformation onto others, is not good either.
    >
    > Just lurk before posting, that's all.

    You are being presumptuous, that MAY not be their website I have said
    www.w3schools.com is a great site before, and it's not my site, but I
    wish it was ;)

    I could be wrong, but that's not the point here, and while we are being
    picky that snippet above would have been best presented with the
    original post "good stuff", as anyone that reads this post would be like
    "Hu where was that said?" so for any of you that have just said it see
    the other post ;)

    ~Cameron

    Cameron, Jan 9, 2004
  5. Robin

    Spartanicus Guest

    Cameron wrote:

    >You are being presumptuous, that MAY not be their website I have said
    >www.w3schools.com is a great site before, and it's not my site, but I
    >wish it was ;)

    Excerpt: "When a browser sees the file extensions .htm or .html, it will
    assume that the file is an HTML page."

    Utter rubbish.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Jan 9, 2004
  6. Robin

    Cameron Guest

    Spartanicus wrote:

    > Cameron wrote:
    >

    >>You are being presumptuous, that MAY not be their website I have said
    >>www.w3schools.com is a great site before, and it's not my site, but I
    >>wish it was ;)

    > Excerpt: "When a browser sees the file extensions .htm or .html, it will
    > assume that the file is an HTML page."
    >
    > Utter rubbish.

    Explain...

    ~Cameron

    Cameron, Jan 9, 2004
  7. Cameron wrote:
    >> Excerpt: "When a browser sees the file extensions .htm or .html, it will
    >> assume that the file is an HTML page."
    >>
    >> Utter rubbish.
    >>

    > Explain...

    Standards-compliant browsers sees a MIME type (servers are generally
    configured to send certain MIME for a certain extension, but the MIME
    type can be configured in almost any way possible) or text/html (or
    applicaition/xml+xhtml for XHTML) to know that it's an HTML file. Even
    stupid browsers like MSIE decide based on content, not extension.

    Leif K-Brooks, Jan 9, 2004
  8. Robin

    Cameron Guest

    Leif K-Brooks wrote:

    > Cameron wrote:
    >
    >>> Excerpt: "When a browser sees the file extensions .htm or .html, it will
    >>> assume that the file is an HTML page."
    >>>
    >>> Utter rubbish.
    >>>

    >> Explain...

    > Standards-compliant browsers sees a MIME type (servers are generally
    > configured to send certain MIME for a certain extension, but the MIME
    > type can be configured in almost any way possible) or text/html (or
    > applicaition/xml+xhtml for XHTML) to know that it's an HTML file. Even
    > stupid browsers like MSIE decide based on content, not extension.

    actually MSIE is too stupid ;) I created a HTML file with the extension
    ..foo went into IE got the context menu up, went into properties and the
    type said "Not Available", changed the ext to .html went in and it said
    Microsoft HTML Document 5.0, so there is some truth in the fact that
    some browsers do take the file ext into account, but not when rendering,
    mozilla firebird however could not be fooled, obviously ;)

    ~Cameron

    Cameron, Jan 9, 2004
  9. Robin

    Kris Guest

    In article <btlrn4$cm$>,
    Cameron <> wrote:

    > > Standards-compliant browsers sees a MIME type (servers are generally
    > > configured to send certain MIME for a certain extension, but the MIME
    > > type can be configured in almost any way possible) or text/html (or
    > > applicaition/xml+xhtml for XHTML) to know that it's an HTML file. Even
    > > stupid browsers like MSIE decide based on content, not extension.
    > >

    > actually MSIE is too stupid ;) I created a HTML file with the extension
    > .foo went into IE got the context menu up, went into properties and the
    > type said "Not Available", changed the ext to .html went in and it said
    > Microsoft HTML Document 5.0, so there is some truth in the fact that
    > some browsers do take the file ext into account, but not when rendering,
    > mozilla firebird however could not be fooled, obviously ;)

    But did your webserver know what MIME type to send for the file?

    --
    Kris
    erlands (nl)

    Kris, Jan 9, 2004
  10. Robin

    Cameron Guest

    Kris wrote:

    > In article <btlrn4$cm$>,
    > Cameron <> wrote:
    >

    >>>Standards-compliant browsers sees a MIME type (servers are generally
    >>>configured to send certain MIME for a certain extension, but the MIME
    >>>type can be configured in almost any way possible) or text/html (or
    >>>applicaition/xml+xhtml for XHTML) to know that it's an HTML file. Even
    >>>stupid browsers like MSIE decide based on content, not extension.
    >>>

    >>actually MSIE is too stupid ;) I created a HTML file with the extension
    >>.foo went into IE got the context menu up, went into properties and the
    >>type said "Not Available", changed the ext to .html went in and it said
    >>Microsoft HTML Document 5.0, so there is some truth in the fact that
    >>some browsers do take the file ext into account, but not when rendering,
    >>mozilla firebird however could not be fooled, obviously ;)

    > But did your webserver know what MIME type to send for the file?

    Actually interesting lol, before I didn't upload it to my web server I
    just created the file on my HDD now I have uploaded it different results
    have occurred, a html file with the .foo extension renders fine in MSIE
    but the type is now "FOO File" lol, not only that but accessing it with
    Mozilla Firebird causes the page not to be rendered but rather the HTML
    content to be displayed as if it were a text file.

    http://www.eporcupine.co.uk/index.foo

    Web server is Apache.

    ~Cameron

    Cameron, Jan 9, 2004
  11. Cameron wrote:
    > accessing it with Mozilla Firebird causes the page not to be rendered but
    > rather the HTML content to be displayed as if it were a text file.
    >
    > http://www.eporcupine.co.uk/index.foo

    Yup, your server is sending a text/plain MIME type for that file:

    $ telnet eporcupine.co.uk 80
    Trying 216.40.203.214...
    Connected to eporcupine.co.uk.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    HEAD /index.foo HTTP/1.1
    Host: eporcupine.co.uk

    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 09:48:00 GMT
    Server: Apache
    Last-Modified: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 09:39:26 GMT
    ETag: "bbb3d-11d-3ffe76ce"
    Accept-Ranges: bytes

    Connection closed by foreign host.

    Leif K-Brooks, Jan 9, 2004
  12. Robin

    Cameron Guest

    Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    > Cameron wrote:
    >
    >> accessing it with Mozilla Firebird causes the page not to be rendered but
    >> rather the HTML content to be displayed as if it were a text file.
    >>
    >> http://www.eporcupine.co.uk/index.foo

    > Yup, your server is sending a text/plain MIME type for that file:

    <snip>

    Ah well, I didn't set the server up, it's a rented server on which I was
    given an account, I will see what the results are with my local server
    next time I boot up FreeBSD.

    ~Cameron

    Cameron, Jan 9, 2004
  13. Leif K-Brooks wrote:

    >Even
    >stupid browsers like MSIE decide based on content, not extension.

    IE decides on content, but not content-type ...

    Create a file with

    in it, save as 'foo.jpg'. The server delivers it as image/jpeg.
    Now guess what IE shows when the file is called ...

    Micha

    Michael Fesser, Jan 9, 2004
  14. Do you mean preloading images?
    That;s a javascript.

    And in dreamweaver you can do a hide layer till everythings loaded.

    Do a google search for both.

    Eric

    some dude somewhere, Jan 9, 2004
  15. Robin

    Steve R. Guest

    Robin wrote in message ...
    > Meta ?

    Meta on a Sunday and my heart stood still,
    Da doo ron ron ron, da do ron ron :~)

    Steve R., Jan 9, 2004
  16. Robin

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 09:02:36 +0000, Cameron <>
    wrote:

    >Explain...

    Search.

    www.w3schools.com has been trashed many times.

    Andy Dingley, Jan 10, 2004
  17. Robin

    Robin Guest

    oh sweet....how does that hide layer work?

    Thanks.

    --
    peace,
    Robin