Method POST not working

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by BLUESTAR, Jul 15, 2008.

  1. BLUESTAR

    BLUESTAR Guest

    Here is the link of the website
    http://www.smartcharlotte2050.com/YourThoughts.asp

    I have been told to change only the form action part of this site.which is
    to "response.asp"
    Here the method POST is not working,and I dont know how to solve this
    problem

    I have tried making my own sample. asp page with 4 textareas as in
    YourThoughts.asp,and also I have kept the textarea name and ID same as that.

    My sample asp is working perfectly fine,in my page method POST is working. I
    need to insert content of textarea in database,

    But in YourThoughts.asp nothing is being inserted in database .after
    clicking the submit button, the page just redirects to response.asp.

    Please please help me, how to solve this problem.

    Thank You

    BLUESTAR, Jul 15, 2008

  2. BLUESTAR

    BLUESTAR Guest

    I forgot to add,is it because YourThoughts.asp have multiple forms,but as far
    as I know ASP can have multiple form,also I tried deleting the form "which I
    am not suppose to as they dont want any changes in their website" but still
    the problem persist.

    Please do reply!!!!!!!!

    Thank You

    BLUESTAR, Jul 15, 2008

  3. "BLUESTAR" <> wrote in message
    > Here is the link of the website
    > http://www.smartcharlotte2050.com/YourThoughts.asp
    >
    > I have been told to change only the form action part of this site.which is
    > to "response.asp"
    > Here the method POST is not working,and I dont know how to solve this
    > problem
    >
    > I have tried making my own sample. asp page with 4 textareas as in
    > YourThoughts.asp,and also I have kept the textarea name and ID same as
    > that.
    >
    > My sample asp is working perfectly fine,in my page method POST is working.
    > need to insert content of textarea in database,
    >
    > But in YourThoughts.asp nothing is being inserted in database .after
    > clicking the submit button, the page just redirects to response.asp.
    >
    > Please please help me, how to solve this problem.
    >

    > Thank You

    Since this group deals with asp (which runs on the server and is not
    accessible via the browser) perhaps you should post the code that you are
    trying to "get to work" and explain the symptoms that lead you to believe it
    "is not working".

    --
    Mike Brind
    MVP - ASP/ASP.NET

    Mike Brind [MVP], Jul 15, 2008
  4. BLUESTAR

    Old Pedant Guest

    So where is the code for "response.asp"?????

    Old Pedant, Jul 15, 2008
  5. BLUESTAR

    Old Pedant Guest

    "BLUESTAR" wrote:
    > I forgot to add,is it because YourThoughts.asp have multiple forms,but as far
    > as I know ASP can have multiple form

    Nothing to do with ASP. HTML allows as many <FORM> tags on a page as you
    want. Only restriction is that they CAN NOT be nested (you can't have a
    <FORM> tag *inside* another <FORM>....</FORM> range).

    And *ONLY* the <FORM> that is actually submitted by the user will be posted
    to the ACTION= specified in that one <FORM>. All other forms are ignored.

    This is true whether you are using ASP or PHP or JSP or even just using a
    <FORM> to go to another HTML page.

    As Mike said, no code, no help. We can't read your mind.

    Old Pedant, Jul 15, 2008
  6. BLUESTAR

    BLUESTAR Guest

    Okay somehow I have solved the error,but now i am stuck in new error.

    this is the response.asp code
    <%
    Set db=Server.CreateObject ("ADODB.Connection")
    db.Open "DSN=mysurvey;"
    strDate=Date()
    for i=1 to 4
    res=Request.Form("Your Thoughts Q"&i)
    sSQL = "INSERT INTO survey (ID,Response,Date) "
    sSQL=sSQL & " VALUES ( '"
    sSQL=sSQL & i & "','"
    sSQL=sSQL & res & "','"
    sSQL=sSQL & strDate & "')"
    db.Execute sSQL
    Next
    db.Close
    Response.Write ("Your data has been successfully send.Thanks for your
    response!!!")

    %>
    this the link of the website from where data will be stored in database.
    http://www.smartcharlotte2050.com/YourThoughts.asp

    The error I am getting

    HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error - ASP error
    Internet Information Services

    * Error Type:
    Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80040E14)
    [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Syntax error in INSERT INTO
    statement.
    /testasp/SurveyResponse.asp, line 13

    * Browser Type:
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.16)
    Gecko/20080702 Firefox/2.0.0.16

    * Page:
    POST 93 bytes to /testasp/SurveyResponse.asp

    * POST Data:

    Your+Thoughts+Q1=gf&Your+Thoughts+Q2=dd&Your+Thoughts+Q3=cc&Your+Thoughts+Q4=bb&Submit=Submit

    * Time:
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008,

    I have even tried the following,but problem persist.

    In IE, turn off the "Friendly HTTP error messages" by choosing tools -
    internet options - advanced. The full error messages as well as the line
    number of the error will then be displayed.

    Thanks Again for your support

    BLUESTAR, Jul 16, 2008
  7. BLUESTAR

    BLUESTAR Guest

    one more thing to add,the insert statement is working perfectly fine and
    even response.asp is working correctly when i run it in sql server 2005.but
    when i used Access 2007 the problem occurs.and i will have use Access
    only..no escape.

    i have configured my connection string same as before,but i don no where am
    i wrong

    BLUESTAR, Jul 16, 2008
  8. BLUESTAR wrote:
    > Okay somehow I have solved the error,but now i am stuck in new error.
    >
    > this is the response.asp code
    > <%
    > Set db=Server.CreateObject ("ADODB.Connection")
    > db.Open "DSN=mysurvey;"
    > strDate=Date()
    > for i=1 to 4
    > res=Request.Form("Your Thoughts Q"&i)
    > sSQL = "INSERT INTO survey (ID,Response,Date) "
    > sSQL=sSQL & " VALUES ( '"
    > sSQL=sSQL & i & "','"
    > sSQL=sSQL & res & "','"
    > sSQL=sSQL & strDate & "')"
    > db.Execute sSQL
    > Next
    > db.Close
    > Response.Write ("Your data has been successfully send.Thanks for your
    > response!!!")
    >
    > %>

    <snip>
    > * Error Type:
    > Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80040E14)
    > [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Syntax error in
    > INSERT INTO statement.
    > /testasp/SurveyResponse.asp, line 13

    You cannot debug a sql statement without knowing what it is. Insert the
    following before the Execute statement:

    '***********comment out when finished debugging*******
    Response.Write sSQL & "<BR>"
    Response.End
    '***********comment out when finished debugging*******

    Run the page and look at the resulting sql statement. The error should
    stick out like a sore thumb. If not post it here.

    Further points to consider:
    Your use of dynamic sql is leaving you vulnerable to hackers using sql
    injection:

    See here for a better, more secure way to execute your queries by using
    parameter markers (tokens):

    Personally, I prefer using stored procedures, or saved parameter queries
    as they are known in Access:

    Access:
    http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...=1&selm=

    SQL Server:
    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general/msg/5d3c9d4409dc1701?hl=en

    > I have even tried the following,but problem persist.
    >
    > In IE, turn off the "Friendly HTTP error messages" by choosing tools -
    > internet options - advanced. The full error messages as well as the
    > line number of the error will then be displayed.

    Friendly Errors was already disabled
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 16, 2008
  9. BLUESTAR

    BLUESTAR Guest

    thanks for reply

    but after adding Response.Write sSQL & "<BR>"
    Response.End

    I am getting this
    INSERT INTO survey (ID,Response,todaydate) VALUES ( '1','s','7/16/2008')
    but i have used for loop which will insert 4 datas,but here i am showed only
    one.

    so what do you think ,my INSERT query is correct?????
    but nothing is being inserted in database.
    my problem is i am not use to Microsoft Access,

    Please do reply

    Thanks

    BLUESTAR, Jul 16, 2008
  10. BLUESTAR

    BLUESTAR Guest

    Now I am getting this error
    rror Type:
    Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
    [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable
    query.
    /testasp/SurveyResponse.asp, line 16

    line 16 is db.Execute sSQL

    BLUESTAR, Jul 16, 2008
  11. No, assuming todaydate is a date/time field and not a Text field, it is
    not correct. In Access, date literals need to be delimited by #, not '.
    You should read my links and parameterize this statement. Not only will
    that make you immune to sql injection, but it will also allow you to
    forget about delimiters.

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 16, 2008
  12. BLUESTAR

    BLUESTAR Guest