Microsoft .NET Framework Version vs. ASP.NET Version

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Shadow Lynx, Jan 28, 2006.

  1. Shadow Lynx

    Shadow Lynx Guest

    At the bottom of the default Error page that appears when Unhandled
    Exceptions occur, what exactly is the difference between the "Microsoft
    ..Net Framework Version" and the "ASP.NET Version"?

    I understand that the ASP.Net version is the version of ASP.Net that
    the current site is running under and it can be retreived with
    System.Environment.Version.ToString.

    What exactly is the Microsoft .NET Framework Version that is displayed?
    It is NOT the highest version of the framework installed, because I
    have 2.x and just got the following at the bottom of a 1.x error page:
    Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2048; ASP.NET
    Version:1.1.4322.2032. Note that the version numbers are just slightly
    different (while my 2.x pages return the same 2.x version numbers.)

    How can this number (whatever it refers to) be programmatically
    retreived? I've been searching newsgroups and MSDN for quite a while
    and no one seems to know the answer (the code above is often
    incorrectly referred to as being the way to get it, but it only returns
    the running ASP.NET version.) Since it and the ASP.Net version can
    differ on the same page, this MUST be come from a different version
    number than System.Environment.Version.

    Shadow Lynx, Jan 28, 2006

  2. Shadow Lynx

    Teemu Keiski Guest

    Hi,

    it is basically the ISAPI version e.g version of the aspnet_isapi.dll.

    --
    Teemu Keiski
    ASP.NET MVP, AspInsider

    Teemu Keiski, Jan 28, 2006

  3. re:
    > It is NOT the highest version of the framework installed

    No, it is not.
    It's the version of the .Net Framework targeted by your application.

    You can set the .Net Framework targeted in the Internet Service Manager
    ( the IIS MMC ), in the ASP.NET tab.

    re:
    > have 2.x and just got the following at the bottom of a 1.x error page:
    > Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2048; ASP.NET
    > Version:1.1.4322.2032.

    You must have uninstalled incorrectly version 1.1.4322.2032.
    You cannot have two versions of the same major .Net release running simultaneously.

    Check your .Net Framework 1.1 directory ( \windows\.microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322 )
    and you'll see that you only have one directory for 1.1

    You can also check by running aspnet_regiis -lv in a command window from that
    same directory. That will list all the .Net Framework versions registered in your machine.

    I doubt if that will return 2 versions of the .Net Framework 1.1 as registered.

    The .Net Framework supports side-by-side, but only between different major versions.
    i.e., 1.1 will run side-by-side with 2.0, but cannot run side-by-side with another 1.1 version.

    You could, maybe, fix it by running aspnet_regiis -u in a command window,
    from the .Net Framework 1.1 directory, followed by running aspnet_regiis -i
    from the same directory.

    re:
    > How can this number (whatever it refers to) be programmatically retreived?

    The same way you indicated ( System.Environment.Version.ToString )

    re:
    > Since it and the ASP.Net version can differ on the same page, this MUST be
    > come from a different version number than System.Environment.Version.

    No. That's what happens when you use archaic beta versions.

    You should upgrade your 1.1 .Net Framework to the release version, apply the
    ..Net Framework SP1 to it and apply the Security update for 1.1 after that.

    Get the release version here :
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&displaylang=en

    Get Service Pack 1 here :
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...4F-088E-40B2-BBDB-A83353618B38&displaylang=en

    Get the Security Update here :
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...8A-29EB-49CF-9DBC-1A0DC2273FF9&displaylang=en

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    ASPNETFAQ.COM : http://www.aspnetfaq.com

    Juan T. Llibre, Jan 28, 2006
  4. Shadow Lynx

    Shadow Lynx Guest

    Thanks to both of you. That takes care of question #1 (I think.) Now
    I just need an answer to #2: How can this number (whatever it refers
    to) be programmatically retreived? I've built my own version of the
    standard .Net error page and want to include it (so goofy setups like
    mine can be detected while still using my custom error page.)

    Shadow Lynx, Jan 30, 2006