Microsoft SQL database simple questions...

Miguel Dias Moura

Hello,

I am creating my first Microsoft SQL database. I have been using Access
and MySQL in my other projects.

1. How do I set up the primary key?
2. In Access I set the primary key as autonumber. In SQL what should be
the type of the primary key?
3. What is the equivalent in SQL of the Memo type of Access?

Thank You,
Miguel

Sahil Malik

1. How do I set up the primary key?
In enterprise mgr, right click on a column in table design view .. or you
could use a Sql Script.
2. In Access I set the primary key as autonumber. In SQL what should be
the type of the primary key?
You have a multitude of choices. SQL Server = much more sophisticated and
sexier than access.
3. What is the equivalent in SQL of the Memo type of Access?
varchar/text ..

I'd recommend picking up a book on Sql Server, and congratulations on making
the right change :) (Did you check out MSDE?)

- Sahil Malik
You can reach me thru my blog at
http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/weblog/sahilmalik

Rob T

1&2: You should set up the column as an integer, don't allow nulls and make
it an identity field
3: Probably a memo field would be a Text field.

You should get a book on using SQL server. There's a lot you can do with
it!