Microsoft.XMLHTTP vs Msxml2.ServerXMLHTTP.4.0 ?

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Arnaud, Mar 17, 2006.

  1. Arnaud

    Arnaud Guest

    Hi,

    I'm trying to translate an asp application, i have some difficulties with a
    particular line :
    ---
    Set myxml = Server.CreateObject("Msxml2.ServerXMLHTTP.4.0")
    ---

    Classical ajax exemples rather use :
    [...]
    req = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP");

    .... But i'm not sure the ActiveXObject is identical to the original :
    Set myxml = Server.CreateObject("Msxml2.ServerXMLHTTP.4.0")

    I'm not an asp expert, can you give me some tips on that question ?

    Thanks,
    Arnaud

    Arnaud, Mar 17, 2006

  2. Arnaud wrote:

    > I'm trying to translate an asp application, i have some difficulties with a
    > particular line :
    > ---
    > Set myxml = Server.CreateObject("Msxml2.ServerXMLHTTP.4.0")
    > ---
    >
    > Classical ajax exemples rather use :
    > [...]
    > req = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP");

    What exactly are you trying to do, translate a VBScript ASP sample to a
    JScript ASP sample? Then use
    var myxml = Server.CreateObject("Msxml2.ServerXMLHTTP.4.0");
    That will use the server version of the XMLHTTP object of MSXML 4 which
    means MSXML 4 needs to be installed on the server where you want to run
    the JScript ASP page.

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

    Martin Honnen, Mar 17, 2006

  3. Arnaud

    Arnaud Guest

    "Martin Honnen" <> a écrit dans le message de news:
    441adf4a$0$21665$-online.net...
    > What exactly are you trying to do, translate a VBScript ASP sample to a
    > JScript ASP sample? Then use
    > var myxml = Server.CreateObject("Msxml2.ServerXMLHTTP.4.0");
    > That will use the server version of the XMLHTTP object of MSXML 4 which
    > means MSXML 4 needs to be installed on the server where you want to run
    > the JScript ASP page.

    Hi,
    Actually I'm trying to translate it into php so i won't have any msxml4
    installed on the server.
    That's why I tried the ajax/client approach : to avoid dealing with a server
    object.
    Have I a chance to see it works one day ? :)

    Arnaud

    Arnaud, Mar 17, 2006
  4. Arnaud wrote:

    > Actually I'm trying to translate it into php so i won't have any msxml4
    > installed on the server.
    > That's why I tried the ajax/client approach : to avoid dealing with a server
    > object.

    I am not sure I really understand why you are asking in a JavaScript
    group if you want to convert server side VBScript/ASP to PHP but as for
    those objects, they have many common properties and methods but there
    are some differences. Documentation is here:
    <http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/xmlsdk/html/7924f6be-c035-411f-acd2-79de7a711b38.asp>
    <http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/xmlsdk/html/1aac5bb8-3647-44cf-a1ce-c220ba464509.asp>
    So ServerXMLHTTP has methods like setTimeouts, waitForResponse that the
    XMLHTTP does not have.

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

    Martin Honnen, Mar 17, 2006
  5. Arnaud

    Arnaud Guest

    "Martin Honnen" <> a écrit dans le message de news:
    441ae932$0$7754$-online.net...
    > I am not sure I really understand why you are asking in a JavaScript group
    > if you want to convert server side VBScript/ASP to PHP

    Because I have tried some ajax code too, so I said myself perhaps someone
    would know the solution.

    > but as for those objects, they have many common properties and methods but
    > there are some differences. Documentation is here:
    > <http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/xmlsdk/html/7924f6be-c035-411f-acd2-79de7a711b38.asp>
    > <http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/xmlsdk/html/1aac5bb8-3647-44cf-a1ce-c220ba464509.asp>
    > So ServerXMLHTTP has methods like setTimeouts, waitForResponse that the
    > XMLHTTP does not have.

    Thanks, I'm going to study your links, I've tried the msdn documentation on
    some asp keywords but it's not so easy to read where you're not used to ms
    world.

    bye
    arnaud

    Arnaud, Mar 17, 2006