migrate from ZODB 3.3.1 --- to where, and how?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Harald Armin Massa, Oct 25, 2005.

  1. Hello,

    I am using ZODB "standalone" in version 3.3.1 within some application.

    Now I learn that the 3.3.x branch of ZODB is "retired". No problem so
    far, everything is running fine.

    BUT... "retired" gives me the hint that nothing GREAT will be done to
    this branch anymore :)

    Now I am questioning myself: to which branch should I migrate? Is 3.5 a
    sure bet, or are uneven subversions a bad sign, making retirement
    likely?

    As much as my diggings showed me, the "special sign" of 3.3 was
    import ZODB
    from persistent import Persistent
    from persistent.list import PersistentList
    from persistent.mapping import PersistentMapping

    that PersistentList and PersistenMapping reside within
    persistent.<something>, while in the 3.2 branch they reside somewhere
    else in the namespace.

    I learned it the hard way that 3.3 filestores not get converted
    magically or easy to 3.2 :) ...

    So, my questions:
    - where should I migrate to?
    - how is migration done best (especially taking care of "old"
    filestores

    Harald

    Harald Armin Massa, Oct 25, 2005

  2. Harald Armin  Massa

    Tim Peters Guest

    [Harald Armin Massa]
    > I am using ZODB "standalone" in version 3.3.1 within some application.
    >
    > Now I learn that the 3.3.x branch of ZODB is "retired". No problem so
    > far, everything is running fine.
    >
    > BUT... "retired" gives me the hint that nothing GREAT will be done to
    > this branch anymore :)

    More than that, there will never be another release of any kind in the
    3.3 line. ZODB work (I'm ZODB's primary maintainer, BTW) is driven by
    Zope's needs. When the last Zope that needs a particular ZODB is no
    longer supported, the ZODB used by that Zope is also no longer
    supported. The ZODB 3.1 and 3.3 lines are dead now, corresponding
    (respectively) to the Zope 2.6 line and an early experimental release
    of Zope3.

    > Now I am questioning myself: to which branch should I migrate? Is 3.5 a
    > sure bet, or are uneven subversions a bad sign, making retirement
    > likely?

    Whether digits in a release number are even or odd has no meaning in
    ZODB (or Zope) releases.

    You should be able to move to the 3.4 or 3.5 lines without problems.
    ZODB 3.4 corresponds to the Zope 2.8 line, and ZODB 3.5 to the Zope
    3.1 line. By the end of this year, ZODB 3.6 will be released
    (corresponding to Zopes 2.9 and 3.2, which will also be released by
    the end of the year). ZODB 3.7 (along with another batch of Zopes)
    will be released mid-year 2006, etc.

    > As much as my diggings showed me, the "special sign" of 3.3 was
    > import ZODB
    > from persistent import Persistent
    > from persistent.list import PersistentList
    > from persistent.mapping import PersistentMapping
    >
    > that PersistentList and PersistenMapping reside within
    > persistent.<something>, while in the 3.2 branch they reside somewhere
    > else in the namespace.

    ZODBs at and before the 3.2 line differ in many ways from ZODBs at and
    after the 3.3 line. So far, the 3.3, 3.4, 3.5 and (not yet released)
    3.6 lines are pretty much intechangeable (although, of course, later
    releases add features that may not work under earlier releases, and
    because the 3.3 line is dead now it doesn't even get critical bugfixes
    anymore).

    > I learned it the hard way that 3.3 filestores not get converted
    > magically or easy to 3.2 :)

    As above, many things changed starting with 3.3.

    > So, my questions:
    > - where should I migrate to?

    I'd jump to 3.5.1 now if I were you, and to 3.6.0 when it's released.

    > - how is migration done best (especially taking care of "old"
    > filestores

    Moving from 3.3.1 to 3.5.1 should "just work".

    Note that ZODB has its own mailing list:

    Like most Zope lists, you have to subscribe to it in order to post to
    it, but anyone can read the archives.

    Tim Peters, Oct 25, 2005