Migrate VC++ code onto Linux

Nick

Hi,

I am a Windows VC++.net newbie, and do not have much experience on
standard C++. Right now, there is a VC++ code which needs to be ported
onto Linux for some reason. The code is mainly for scientific
computing, and includes lots of GUI dealing with parameters. The plan
is to eliminate GUI and use files for parameter setting, and the
computing part will remain the same. I really do not have idea on how
to migrate the code. Can anybody give some suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

lallous

Nick said:
Hi,

I am a Windows VC++.net newbie, and do not have much experience on
standard C++. Right now, there is a VC++ code which needs to be ported
onto Linux for some reason. The code is mainly for scientific
computing, and includes lots of GUI dealing with parameters. The plan
is to eliminate GUI and use files for parameter setting, and the
computing part will remain the same. I really do not have idea on how
to migrate the code. Can anybody give some suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Basically, if you know C++ you should be able to locate the code dealing w/
GUI and the code dealing w/ computations.

Later you would want to refer to the GUI programming documentation (that was
used) in order to understand how the GUI was used to extract input
information from user so that you can translate the input to be from files.

In case you have questions regarding the GUI you would want to ask in
appropriate newsgroups such as microsoft.public.vc.mfc

Chris Theis

Nick said:
Hi,

I am a Windows VC++.net newbie, and do not have much experience on
standard C++. Right now, there is a VC++ code which needs to be ported
onto Linux for some reason. The code is mainly for scientific
computing, and includes lots of GUI dealing with parameters. The plan
is to eliminate GUI and use files for parameter setting, and the
computing part will remain the same. I really do not have idea on how
to migrate the code. Can anybody give some suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I totally agree with the things Elias answered to your post. Still, you need
to make sure the those parts taking care of the computations do not use any
VC specific extensions (like MFC collections for example). These of course
need to be replaced by appropriate solutions supplied by the standard
library.

HTH
Chris

Nick