[mildly OT] JVM Languages group

Charles Oliver Nutter

FYI, for the past couple months there's been ongoing discussions on the
JVM languages google group about how best to implement languages on the
JVM. We've also started to consider what we need to do to pool efforts
and build common frameworks that would raise all ships.

If you're interested in alternative languages for the JVM (which would
certainly include Ruby), you might be interested in this group. Or you
might know someone who would be interested in this group. Either way...

http://headius.blogspot.com/2007/08/widening-jvm-languages-group-we-need.html

- Charlie

John Joyce

FYI, for the past couple months there's been ongoing discussions on
the JVM languages google group about how best to implement
languages on the JVM. We've also started to consider what we need
to do to pool efforts and build common frameworks that would raise
all ships.

If you're interested in alternative languages for the JVM (which
would certainly include Ruby), you might be interested in this
group. Or you might know someone who would be interested in this
group. Either way...

http://headius.blogspot.com/2007/08/widening-jvm-languages-group-we-
need.html

- Charlie
interesting.
seems to be a common theme these days.
compiling to an intermediary language,
gcc
MS's CLR.
But a Java based solution certainly increases the distribution/
availability of any language (and software in it).
However, in Java tradition, perhaps it will just be "write once,
debug everywhere" again?
(just kidding, I really do think it's an excellent idea)

Charles Oliver Nutter

John said:
interesting.
seems to be a common theme these days.
compiling to an intermediary language,
gcc
MS's CLR.
But a Java based solution certainly increases the
distribution/availability of any language (and software in it).
However, in Java tradition, perhaps it will just be "write once, debug
everywhere" again?

Let's hope not :) Seriously though, it seems like the time is ripe for
all the dozens of JVM language implementations (including two separate
Ruby implementations!) to work together on the platform as a whole. With
Java being open-sourced and polyglot programming becoming the hot new
thing, it's a no-brainer to start collaborating in this sort of group.

- Charlie

Matt Lawrence

If you're interested in alternative languages for the JVM (which would
certainly include Ruby), you might be interested in this group. Or you might
know someone who would be interested in this group. Either way...

How about Forth?

-- Matt
It's not what I know that counts.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Charles said:
Let's hope not :) Seriously though, it seems like the time is ripe for
all the dozens of JVM language implementations (including two separate
Ruby implementations!) to work together on the platform as a whole. With
Java being open-sourced and polyglot programming becoming the hot new
thing, it's a no-brainer to start collaborating in this sort of group.

- Charlie
Polyglot programming? Sure, I know a whole bunch of programming
languages, but I'm not at all sure that's a good thing, and I'm even
less sure that I want to learn Python, PHP or *any* dialect of C other
than C itself. There are as far as I'm concerned only two reasons to
learn a programming language:

1. Because I get paid to use it, or
2. It has some new concepts that will make me a better overall programmer.

Hence, I am learning Ruby and Erlang, and I learned FORTRAN,
Lisp/Scheme, C, Forth, Perl and R.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Matt said:
How about Forth?

-- Matt
It's not what I know that counts.
Join the group -- I beat you to it. :)

Charles Oliver Nutter

Matt said:
How about Forth?

Odd you should ask...a group member just expressed an interest in Forth.
I know no details about any current or future Forth implementations for
the JVM.

- Charlie