    an then return it to normal just before the script comcludes?

    Thanks,

    Jim
    jim simpson, Nov 29, 2004

  2. jim simpson

    YorHel Guest

    "black screen" -> The windows console, Linux console? what "black
    screen"?
    YorHel, Nov 29, 2004

  3. On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, jim simpson wrote:

    > Is there anyway to minimize the black screen while a Perl script is
    > running

    Hmmm. Crystal ball time. I suspect we might have here a PoB
    ("prisoner of Bill") who hadn't realised that mention of their OS and
    other environment details would be useful.

    Maybe you're looking for wperl.exe

    > an then return it to normal just before the script comcludes?

    Dunno about that part. You could google for wperl.exe and see if it's
    part of the answer, anyhow.
    Alan J. Flavell, Nov 29, 2004
  4. jim simpson

    Joe Smith Guest

    jim simpson wrote:
    > Is there anyway to minimize the black screen while a Perl script is running

    If you are talking about the MS-DOS command window that pops up on
    Windows, wperl.exe will prevent that. It will also supress any output
    going to SDTOUT and STDERR.

    > an then return it to normal just before the script comcludes?

    So, you want something that will create an MS-DOS command window when
    the perl script starts, minimize that window while running, and at the
    end of the script restore the window to its usual size and wait while
    the user has a chance to look at any messages, right?

    I can't help you with the minimize/restore part, but the last bit is
    print "Press ENTER when done\n";
    $_ = <STDIN>;
    exit;
    Joe Smith, Nov 29, 2004
  5. On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:56:42 -0500, "jim simpson" <>
    wrote:

    >Is there anyway to minimize the black screen while a Perl script is running
    >an then return it to normal just before the script comcludes?

    You're talking Windoze, aren't you? Well, your headers tell me so...
    then not a *real* answer to your question, but you may be interested
    in wperl.exe.

    Michele
    Michele Dondi, Nov 29, 2004
  6. > >Is there anyway to minimize the black screen while a Perl script is
    running
    > >an then return it to normal just before the script comcludes?

    NOT a working script, but the snippets you need...

    use Win32::GUI;

    #Hide dos window
    my $perlwin = Win32::GUI::GetPerlWindow();
    Win32::GUI::Hide($perlwin);

    #restore dos window
    my $perlwin = Win32::GUI::GetPerlWindow();
    Win32::GUI::OpenIcon($perlwin);

    #see what happened
    print "\nPress ENTER to exit";
    <STDIN>;
    Richard S Beckett, Nov 30, 2004
  7. jim simpson

    jim simpson Guest

    Thanks to all who responded. Many good ideas.

    Jim

    jim simpson, Nov 30, 2004