"missing" DataBinding property in 2.0

rb

I'm a bit confused with this new data binding methodology - well, at
least the "visual" part of it.

With asp.net 1, I used be able to "mouse-my-way" around data binding
instead of doing it in code. However, since DataBinding property is gone
from all controls in 2.0 and DataSourceID isn't visible among control
properties, is there really no way to bind controls (labels, text boxes
etc) other than in code? I realize there are new (really cool)
components, DetailView and FormView, but they're not always appropriate;
particularly if single-row fields are scattered around the page and
mixed up with other non-data elements.

I've been looking for examples on the web but they're blatantly missing.
Am I missing anything or this sort of databinding must be done in html?

Thanks and Happy Holidays everyone.

rb