Misuse of namespaces, help is summoning arguments

Discussion in 'XML' started by Simon North, Aug 5, 2004.

  1. Simon North

    Simon North Guest

    I am documenting C++ classes. We have created an authoring environment and
    the developers write the text themselves.
    I edit and output the XML instances. I've created my own code (DTD, schema,
    XSLT stylesheet and CSS stylesheet) and then
    I pump it into RoboHelp. Works pretty well. So far, so good.

    However, IMNSHO, the XML instances are awful. The developer responsible has
    used namespace prefixes as if they were a cute part of the element name
    syntax. An abbreviation of the parent element name becomes the namespace
    prefix for its children. The instances therefore look something like this:

    <IT:IT xmlns:IAE="IAE" xmlns:IAEA="IAEA" xmlns:IAER="IAER" xmlns:IME="IME"
    xmlns:IMEPV="IMEPV" xmlns:IT="IT">
    <IT:N> ... </IT:N>
    <IT:IME>
    <IME:IME>
    <IME:Name>...</IME:Name>
    </IME:IME>
    </IT:IME>
    </IT:IT>

    This is just a fraction; the nesting goes pretty deep.

    Apart from finding this inherently ugly, my gut tells me that this is an
    example of something you should NOT do with namespaces. Before I go back and
    complain, I'm appealing for help. Am I just being pedantic? ... but if I am
    right, what are the convincing arguments why this practice is wrong?

    Thanks,

    Simon North
    technical writer
    Quintiq.