Mix of xml and html

Hans-Peter Diettrich

I wonder what this header does mean:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<HTML xmlns:MSHelp="http://msdn.microsoft.com/mshelp">
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" Content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/>

When such a file is saved as *.htm, it's displayed in an browser as
HTML. When saved as *.xml, it's displayed as XML. When streamed directly
into an browser, nothing is displayed at all. In the latter case, what's
missing so that the browser cannot determine how to handle the document?
(Maybe my streaming code doesn't work properly?)

The most puzzling element in such HTML Help documents is:
<MSHelp:link namespace= ...>Text</MSHelp:link>

"Text" is displayed, but what is the intended interpretation of the
surrounding decoration? It seems to be some XML element, that is ignored
by an ordinary browser.

What can or has to be done, in order to make such a construct have any
effect? Actually I edit the files, converting the "link" into "A" tags,
so that they work as HTML links. But that's a poor solution, couldn't
this be done in another (the intended) way?

DoDi

cwdjrxyz

[...]

This is a typical case of Microsoftese and likely does not conform to
W3C standards and likely will not work properly on most modern
browsers that follow W3C standards. If you have to use this for some
reason, that is a pity. But I always avoid such silly Microsoft code
when I can find any other way to do what is needed using W3C web
standards. If someone here does not give the answer you need, you
might try asking at a Microsoft group.

Hans-Peter Diettrich

cwdjrxyz said:
standards. If someone here does not give the answer you need, you
might try asking at a Microsoft group.

There I'll get the answer: use dexplore.exe, it's designed for handling
such crap. Not very helpful :-(

But if nobody here can give me an hint, I'll stay with converting the
files into better conforming HTML...

DoDi

Andy Dingley

But if nobody here can give me an hint,

Of course we can't - you posted 5 lines snipped from a long document,
rather than giving us a YURl to the whole thing.
I'll stay with converting the files into better conforming HTML...

It's less about "better conforming HTML" and more about converting
from an XML format that isn't HTML and bears only a passing
resemblance to it. To do that you need knowledge of HTML and knowledge
of the other XML schema too. As it's from M$oft it's probably unstable
against change, poorly documented, badly thought out, may even be
formally invalid and almost certainly hard to find any documentation
for at all. As M$oft are now threatening to eat their own young
(sorry, sue their own Most Valued Professionals for unspecified
copyright infringement), then I for one have no interest in knowing
any more about their products.

Neredbojias

"MS"? In a HTML context?

It means, "Abandon Hope All Ye Who Render Here"

Nay, Androcles, it means "Abandon all hope, ye who render here."

(I had a persnickety prof once whom rf reminds me of...)

Andy Dingley

Nay, Androcles, it means "Abandon all hope, ye who render here."

(I had a persnickety prof once whom rf reminds me of...)

The original source is of course, "Lasciate ogne speranza, voi
ch'intrate"

How you translate this depends on who's translation you favour. Your
prof appears to have liked the Rev. Cary's, even though this is
generally agreed to have been a bad and Bowdlerised translation in
general (I only read mine for the pictures). It's probably the closest
literal translation though.

Dorothy L. Sayers is a much-loved translation overall, but this is one
of those instances where she went just a bit florid.

The translation I usually read myself is Mark Musa's generally good
one and he's one of the few sources for the version I cited (possibly
a mistake? or why if it's a deliberate change?). It's arguably
inaccurate as a translation and contrary to the author's intention
(Should one lose _all_ hope? Should _all_ lose hope?). However in
fairness to M$oft (I don't say that often), I think it's closer to my
meaning for its adaption. I'm not _that_ mean to them as to suggest
that nothing ever works, but they are ubiquitous.

Obviously who we need here is an Italian web designer...

Hans-Peter Diettrich

Andy said:
It means, "Abandon Hope All Ye Who Render Here"

Nay, Androcles, it means "Abandon all hope, ye who render here."[*]

In the current context I'd say: "Abandon all rendering, no hope here"
The original source is of course, "Lasciate ogne speranza, voi
ch'intrate"

According to my italo-latin knowledge, that's equivalent to the
second[*] translation, provided that "render" here means "enter" (intrare).

DoDi

Neredbojias

[...]

Well, I read the "DC Classics" version myself, and in there it said...

Seriously, you seem to be better versed in it than I (-pun intended.)
However, I did (ab)use the line once in a story of my own and really
couldn't remember where the "all" went so I looked it up. My 'prof' was
a spinster-to-be named McCarthy who gave me a well-done for sitting in
the front row.
Obviously who we need here is an Italian web designer...

Luigi! Oh, no!!

--
Neredbojias

Once I had a little bird