mod_ruby and win2k

David Tillman

Hello all, I first sent this to the mod_ruby list - after
two days and no traffic I presume that list dead?

I have an upcoming web project that I would like to use Ruby
for. I have convinced the powers that be that VB and ASP
are not the direction we want to go.

As it happens, Apache will be running on either a Win2K or
an XP box. There is *no* other option. There is some windows
specific software that has to run on the box to talk to some
industrial equipment. MS SQL Server might also be on the box.

So, what is the current status of mod_ruby on Win2k and XP?
Is it robust? Does someone have some win32 binaries available?

Best Regards,
David Tillman

John W. Long

Hi David,

I understand your frustration with the mod_ruby list. It's not dead, just a
little slow sometimes.

Moriq compiled mod_ruby for windows:

http://www.moriq.com/ruby/win32-apache2-ruby1.8.1-mod_ruby/

This of course is an unofficial release.

What do you want to use mod_ruby for? Custom apache handlers or simple asp
style scripting? You might want to consider using cgi. It still works
remarkably well for web applications and is extremely portable because you
only need the ruby interpretor. If speed is an issue I believe fast_cgi runs
on windows. I've heard that it is faster than mod_ruby.
___________________
John Long
www.wiseheartdesign.com

David Tillman

John said:

Thank you very much!

What do you want to use mod_ruby for? Custom apache handlers or simple asp
style scripting?

Primarily for scripting and report generation. This is a typical
web-browser-is-the-GUI type app. Parts of it will have to be Java
applets. I would like for the rest of it - configuration, setup, reports
to be in Ruby.

There are also some modules that will have no user interface but
will be responsible for performing very quick operations on data
in SQL Server. I am hoping Ruby will be at least as quick as VB for
this; however, not a mod_ruby issue.
You might want to consider using cgi. It still works
remarkably well for web applications and is extremely portable because you
only need the ruby interpretor. If speed is an issue I believe fast_cgi runs
on windows. I've heard that it is faster than mod_ruby.

Interesting. Thanks for the ideas. For some reason I just assumed that
mod_ruby would be the quickest...

-dave

Carl Youngblood

You might want to consider using cgi. It still works
Interesting. Thanks for the ideas. For some reason I just assumed that
mod_ruby would be the quickest...

-dave

Check out this ruby garden wiki link for some good tips on using
mod_fastcgi:

http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?UsingRubyFastCGI

I've been using it for a little while now and I think these tips will
really help you to overcome some of the initial hurdles. Of course, I
haven't gotten it working on Windows so I can't help you there.

Carl