Modify code with AST

Ronny Mandal

Hello,

I am trying to write a script which will parse a code segment (with ast.parse()), locate the correct function/method node (by name) in the resulting tree and replace this function (node) with another function (node), e.g.:

MyMod1.py:

class FooBar():
def Foo(self): #I want to replace this and only this
return 1

def Bar(self):
return 2

Here is the parser-class:

class FindAndTransform(NodeTransformer):
"""Visit the function and check name"""
def visit_FunctionDef(self, node):
if node.name == 'Foo': #Only replace if name is "Foo"
#Create a new function and assign it to node
node = parse('''
def add(n, m):
return n + m
''')
return node

When I run the parser on MyMod1.py and generate code (with codegen), the output is:

class FooBar():
def add(n, m):
return n + m

i.e. both methods are replaced. It seems like "node" in the parser containsall method bodies of class FooBar, not only Foo. When ran through a debugger, it iterates both methods. What I really wanted to do, was to replace only one method (Foo) and leave the other untouched.

I hope this was understandable conveyed.

Answers are highly appreciated.

Regards,

Ronny Mandal

Peter Otten

Ronny said:
[...]

I think the main problem is that you have to return the unchanged node (you
return None which might be an indentation accident). I also had to take the
add() FunctionDef out of the enclosing Module. So (I don't have codegen or
is it part of the stdlib?):

import ast

class FindAndTransform(ast.NodeTransformer):
def visit_FunctionDef(self, node):
if node.name == 'Foo':
node = ast.parse('''
def add(n, m):
return n + m
''').body[0]
return node

if __name__ == "__main__":
orig = """
class FooBar():
def Foo(self): #I want to replace this and only this
return 1

def Bar(self):
return 2
"""

p = ast.parse(orig)
q = FindAndTransform().visit(p)
qq = compile(q, "<nofile>", "exec")
exec(qq)
assert {n for n in dir(FooBar) if not n.startswith("_")} == {"Bar",
"add"}

Ronny Mandal

I think the main problem is that you have to return the unchanged node (you
return None which might be an indentation accident). I also had to take the

add() FunctionDef out of the enclosing Module. So (I don't have codegen or

is it part of the stdlib?):

Thank you, my problem is now solved. It was the indentation of the return statement which was the culprit. I forgot that visit() (in this context) is called once for each FunctionDef-node. I moved the return-statement one click to the left, then it worked.

codegen is not a part of the stdlib. It is written by Armin Ronacher (the same person who wrote ast) and it uses ast to generate python code from the AST.

Thanks!

Regards,

Ronny Mandal