modifying code-need some help

Joey Martin

I am modifying someone else's code and need help with an array:

Can someone explain to me what this is doing?

PedArray = Split(T_ped,CHR(13))
I know this is creating an array and splitting the t_ped text at the
CHR(13).

What is this next step?
Sire_1 = Trim(mid(PedArray(5),21,52-21))
Is that "Look at the 5th split", starting at character 21? What is the
52-21?

If t_ped =*Nasrullah 40 Bold Ruler 54 Boldnesian 63 Miss Disco 44 Polynesian
42 Alanesian 54 Bold Reasoning Alablue 45 (1968) *Turn-To 51 Hail To Reason
58

Sire 1 is being displayed as Alanesian5

IS that correct?

Joey Martin

Nevermind....I figured it out once I read over what I wrote. It is the 5th
line.

Thanks

Phill. W

Joey Martin said:
Can someone explain to me what this is doing? .. . .
What is this next step?
Sire_1 = Trim(mid(PedArray(5),21,52-21))
Is that "Look at the 5th split", starting at character 21?

Split() /always/ returns a zero-based array, so you're actually
looking at the *sixth* line, here, not the fifth.
What is the 52-21?

Believe it or not, it's simply the value 31.
Possibly left by the original Developer to show a relationship
between, say, the "record" size and the position of this particular
"field".

HTH,
Phill W.